Forum VAR
Staff member
Level 6 Referee
FA Referee
Just interested to see what whistles people actually use

Personally I use the Fox classic, have it in all the colours too

What's your favourite?

The Referee Store
Fox 40 Classic for me. I have it in yellow or blue currently, but probably expanding the colour chart in time for the new season.

I have a couple of spares in the bag in case I need a different tone to distinguish from colleagues on neighbouring pitches. The spares are an Acme Thunderer and an old metal GWR Guard's whistle that was found amongst my late grandfather's possessions when we cleared his wardrobe last year.

Since the last 6 weeks or so, I have been using a Fox Sonik Blast CMG in green, and have a Fox Classic CMG in red as a spare. I have a Fox Classic CMG in purple, and a Fox Classic in black. Also a Fox Micro in orange, and an Acme Tornado in Yellow, as well as an Acme pea whistle (Thunderer I think?). So yes, plenty of choice, but the Sonik Blast is my favourite :)

fox 40 for me used a thunder acme for while but it was quite big the fox is small and gives hell of a sound i know other refs use fox 40 but struggle with getting the right sound but it suits me

I agree with what you say about getting the sound right. I feel that its easier to get the sound by just blowing with an Acme, but once you master the Fox, there is no better sound out there in my opinion.

Thats the added bonus about the Sonik Blast, its as easy as to blow!

I have neon & red Fox 40 Classics & a Black Acme Tornado, However, the Tornado is only on my lanyard for blowing-up and MC when I need something that might just stop them fighting :rolleyes:. However, I may invest in a Sonik Blast in the summer and see what all the hype is about as I have heard many stories not only on here that it is a very good whistle; however I shall have to see with that one.

You're right though, if the Fox is used correctly it sounds beautiful, but put in the hands of a novice and it does sound like you're strangling a cat :p.

However, I may invest in a Sonik Blast in the summer and see what all the hype is about as I have heard many stories not only on here that it is a very good whistle; however I shall have to see with that one.

Do it... Dooo iiit!

Nah, in all seriousnes, I bought one at the start of last season, and used it for a 7-a-side tournament, and absoloutley hated it. Not only was it way too loud, but it was heavy, felt weird in my hand, and just didn't sound right. If you don;t get it pretty even into you'r mouth, then you'r back to the whole strangling a cat situation!

But, after giving it a go in senior football a couple of months ago, it has become my number 1 whistle. Great loud noise, instantly commands attention! The only thing is, I wouldn't reccomend it if you'r doing a youth game, or games where there are multiple pitches, as the sound can only be described as stupidly loud! Nevertheless, a great whistle, just might take some time getting used to :)

Hmm, I may be tempted Lewys. How much are they RRP'ing for at the moment? I may have to invest in another neon colour though, I do rather like the fact the whistle stands out.

Talking of noise though, I get people complaining about the noise from the F40C when I just have a quick sharp blast for a free-kick. However, I must say I love giong round by a player that's just been pi**ing you off all game and blowing for a free-kick right in his ear with the Tornado.. I tell you now, he doesn't say much for the rest of the game :p. That might be due to partial deafness but he gets the picture!

I think they are about £8 ish? I paid £9 for a CMG one I think. Its in the green color (AM style :p)

Ye, the sound is immense, and be prepared to spend the first few minutes of the game partialy deaf :p

Hmm, that isn't too bad. May be able to pick one up on eBay (like i'm trying to find a coloured top - taking forever to find a PGMOL one!) for something under that, or I may just go straight to source and use A&H, depends if I buy any pre-match kit off them over the summer!

Well hopefully it'll be the players that are deaf and not me :p, i'd rather have them complaining about that than my refereeing!

Apologies for the double post; but I have just bought myself a Sonik Blast from eBay as I told myself I would, managed to get an orange CMG one that's going to be shipped over from the 'States and works about at threepence under £7, not a bad deal if I do say so myself!

Looks like i'll be using that over the summer to get used to it then, you better be right Lewys ;).

As I said before under a different thread . Fox 40 Sonik Blast 120db of pure sound :)
After a match last Sunday the manager on the next pitch beside my game thanked me politely for costing his team two goals on his pitch because his backline stopped because they thought the ref on their pitch had blown for off-side with me blowing my FOX 40 Sonik Blast :rolleyes:

Got my Sonik Blast today Lewys, I'm going to have to try and get a game in the near future to try it out. Had a quick go in the garden and I can see that it will take some practice to get used to!

Got my Sonik Blast today Lewys, I'm going to have to try and get a game in the near future to try it out. Had a quick go in the garden and I can see that it will take some practice to get used to!

Nice one! Aye, it does take some getting used to! Did you make the neiboghroues deaff?! Once you gt the hang of it tho, its awesome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back