A&H

What if...

R

Ryan Morris

Just looking for some advice, me and my fellow refereeing friend can't decide what would be the correct decision following this incident...

Player A from Reds FC fouls an opponent (worthy of a yellow card). But their is an advantage to play, so the referee plays it. Player A then gets up and produces another foul also worthy of a yellow card.

Does the player receive 2 yellows, making a red? Or just a single yellow?

I know that if two incidents occur at the same time, you punish the more "serious" one.

What would be the correct decision?

The Referee Store
hmmmm,.....without the good book to hand, I think it would depend on how long after the first the 2nd offence occured. Culd you still blow and punish the first offence?

Facing that situation myself, I think I would probably blow and YC the player, and make sure he knows that he is bloody lucky!

I don't feel it fair to dish out two yellows, if the player wasn't aware he had 'been booked' for the first tackle.

I'm with Tealeaf, you can only issue 1 YC as you have not stopped play to issue the player with the YC. Let the player know that he would've been cautioned for the first tackle at the next stoppage in play had he not committed the second foul.

Let me add a twist, what if theres a foul worthy of a YC so you whistle to stop play. 3/4 seconds later the same player commits another YC tackle. Do you then RC the player or stay with the yellow?

Let me add a twist, what if theres a foul worthy of a YC so you whistle to stop play. 3/4 seconds later the same player commits another YC tackle. Do you then RC the player or stay with the yellow?

That would be a second yellow.
The player knows he's already on a yellow, so if he's daft enough to do the same thing straight away he deserves an early shower - but being that daft, he probably needs help to operate the shower!

If you have stopped play and issued a caution for the first foul and the player then, a few minutes later does another, then is a second caution and a RC as per LoTG.

As Matty says if hes that stupid to do it twice in as many minutes he deserves everything he gets.

But the problem posed though is what to do if the player commits a foul that is definitely worthy of a yellow card and the advantage is good enough that you let play continue. If there were no other infringements you would issue the card at the next stoppage. But what if there is no stoppage and the same player commits another obvious yellow card offence. Not 3-4 seconds later, but a good 30s-1min later (a bit of a stretch, but it is possible to play that long without a stoppage). Are we saying that we would only issue the one yellow?

That would be a second yellow.
The player knows he's already on a yellow, so if he's daft enough to do the same thing straight away he deserves an early shower - but being that daft, he probably needs help to operate the shower!
No, what I mean is you stop play and the player blatantly continues to play ignoring the whistle and fouls someone. Do you then produce a red card?

No, what I mean is you stop play and the player blatantly continues to play ignoring the whistle and fouls someone. Do you then produce a red card?
In this case, the player isn't in possession is he?

So, the scenario is: he's committed say, a late tackle, but the ball remains in his oppositions possession, I decide not to play advantage as I'm gonna card him. The ball is at the feet of the fouled team, and he dives in and 'tackles' the 2nd guy recklessly?

As I have stopped play, then the ball is OUT OF PLAY and the 2nd tackle receives the punishment as per LOTG, which would, off the top of my head, be Violent Conduct.

HOWEVER: I would hope my whistle technique would be strong enough for everyone within 0.5km of the field to know that I have stopped play, and he would have to be the only individual to continue - if there are more players that 'carry on playing' after my whistle, then I might give benefit of the doubt and YC him, as I would question MY technique and game management. Also, would have to consider the spirit of that particular game, that particular player etc etc.

One of those situations where you need to really be there to know what you would do - so many variables to consider - temperament of the game, of the individual player, the type of fouls committed, have I had issues with this player earlier etc.

I think I need a re-read of Law 18... :)

The technically correct answer, as I've been taught by instructors, is that if a player commits two separate, non-simultaneous cautionable offences, then he should be issued with both a first and a second caution.

In practice though, I think my response would be dictated by fairness in the particular circumstances. If there are two borderline cautionable tackles, it would be both fair and sellable to issue a caution for whichever tackle was most 'deserving.' However, if there are blatantly two cautionable offences (eg a clearly reckless tackle, followed by blatant dissent) then the fair response would be caution for both offences.

Back