A&H

What does constitute an own goal?

one

RefChat Addict
Some of the leagues I referee in require recording of the goal scorers.

I have never seen any 'rules' on what constitutes an own goal. My rule of thumb is, if the ball is clearly not on its way to goal but deflects off a defender and goes in its an own goal, otherwise its not. I know others work it out differently, some with complex ways of working it out, e.g. intent, deliberate play at the ball etc etc.

Does anyone know of any set rules?

The Referee Store
The LotG does not stipulate any rules for crediting goals to players. As a basic rule of thumb, its an own goal if the ball wouldn't have gone over the goal line but for the defending players intervention. So, you are correct.

my general rule of thumb is:

if it isn't a deliberate touch of the ball then no own goal - if they have made a deliberate attempt to clear the ball and it goes in (or they are don't like their team) then own goal

Some of the leagues I referee in require recording of the goal scorers.

I have never seen any 'rules' on what constitutes an own goal. My rule of thumb is, if the ball is clearly not on its way to goal but deflects off a defender and goes in its an own goal, otherwise its not. I know others work it out differently, some with complex ways of working it out, e.g. intent, deliberate play at the ball etc etc.

Does anyone know of any set rules?
Simple, give it to the attacker whenever you can, neither the defender nor the attacker want an own goal :)
If it's really obvious then give it to defender, if not I'd go with the attacker as often as I could, then everyone is happy :)

Do you have to send in who has scored or do the clubs do it? Seems to make your life ten times more difficult if you are having to note down the scorer and send it in after the match.

my general rule of thumb is:

if it isn't a deliberate touch of the ball then no own goal - if they have made a deliberate attempt to clear the ball and it goes in (or they are don't like their team) then own goal

So...the ball is crossed and not going towards goal......it hits a defender or keeper on back of the head and goes in to the goal.

No deliberate attempt to play the ball........ still an own goal......Don't you think?..... ;)

Do you have to send in who has scored or do the clubs do it? Seems to make your life ten times more difficult if you are having to note down the scorer and send it in after the match.
Its not much more difficult. When recording the goal during the game I record the shirt number of the goal scorer on the game card. On the team sheet that we complete at the end of the game (to report the final score and any sanctions) there is also a column in front of every player's name for goals scored.

Simple, give it to the attacker whenever you can, neither the defender nor the attacker want an own goal :)
If it's really obvious then give it to defender, if not I'd go with the attacker as often as I could, then everyone is happy :)
Except for the few players who are closely competing for the golden boot award at the end of the season :)

Back