A&H

What are you giving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JH

RefChat Addict
What are you giving for Gerrard in this situation, if anything? I don't believe Poll issued a card.

The Referee Store
For me, yes, defensive, tight, nothing to be gained by playing on. Gerrards actions are not excused but blow str8 away, kill the game, and Gerrard does not lunge in

Clip on the touchline that the ref blew for.

I agree but the speed in which it went from the clip on Gerrard to the lunge I have sympathy for Poll.

For me I’m not doing Gerrard for the lunge either, it is a subject I would like discussing & I think I touched on it before, do we blow for wild lunges challenges etc that make no contact.

I agree but the speed in which it went from the clip on Gerrard to the lunge I have sympathy for Poll.

For me I’m not doing Gerrard for the lunge either, it is a subject I would like discussing & I think I touched on it before, do we blow for wild lunges challenges etc that make no contact.

Yup you can and i think IMHO you are encouraged to! Had Gerrard connected there it would be a defo red (I'm of the opinion he should be walking regardless because if the other player hasn't jumped it would have been a leg breaker!!). So for that you can blow for a IFK and dish out a YC for playing in a dangerous manner. I would add a royal b********g as well to that!

Yup you can and i think IMHO you are encouraged to! Had Gerrard connected there it would be a defo red (I'm of the opinion he should be walking regardless because if the other player hasn't jumped it would have been a leg breaker!!). So for that you can blow for a IFK and dish out a YC for playing in a dangerous manner. I would add a royal b********g as well to that!

But what is the difinitive black and white law on lunges or whatever not connecting?

Or is it typically down to the referee as per many scenarios.

I mean after all Poll did nothing..

But what is the difinitive black and white law on lunges or whatever not connecting?

Or is it typically down to the referee as per many scenarios.

I mean after all Poll did nothing..
Its called playing in a dangerous manner. Go and read up on it in law 12 and you'll see what we are talking about.

yellow and a telling off as there was no contact at grass roots level. Red with any contact. But at that level I would not be surprised to see a red, although Gerrard is about 12 there so there was a different tolerance back then.

Its called playing in a dangerous manner. Go and read up on it in law 12 and you'll see what we are talking about.

Ok just did so why is it hardly ever if ever exercised on the football pitch by the referee.

Which kind of eludes to my point of is it down to the referee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically however, the red card would be for Serious Foul Play (by endangering the safety of a player) and not Dangerous Play as such
Regardless of the minor foul on Gerrard, the jump and lunge is a red card all day long for me. As to whether it would be given at grass roots, I'm still looking for a very good reason not to show red for this

So you can give sfp red card without making contact?

Surely you can only give a yellow for this Gerrard case, playing in a dangerous manner.

Yes, just like you can give a red card for Violent Conduct for a player doing wind mills without making contact

Very interesting haven’t thought about it like that, players throwing punches or kicks without making contact.

Just for a change, the Law is inconsistent in the book
On the one hand, there's playing in a dangerous manner (C1 DP), which I equate to acts which border accidental and reckless, like high foot. Then there's Serious Foul Play, which includes a clearly defined lunge with excessive force which endangers the safety of an opponent. There is no explicit requirement for contact to meet the criteria of SFP
Violent Contact by definition refers to when a player attempts to use excessive force or brutality when not challenging for the ball regardless of whether contact is made (negligible force excluded)

Yes, just like you can give a red card for Violent Conduct for a player doing wind mills without making contact

Beat me to it.

Regard for opponents safety? None
Speed of challenge? Fast
Chances of playing ball? None, as Veron was smart enough to see it comimg
The lunge itself looks horrific, two feet, flying thro air.

Beat me to it.

Regard for opponents safety? None
Speed of challenge? Fast
Chances of playing ball? None, as Veron was smart enough to see it comimg
The lunge itself looks horrific, two feet, flying thro air.

And yet although not shy of controversy one of this country’s most decorated referees gives nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back