A&H

Well that was awful!

Dave Mac

Oh dear.

had my first competitive adults game on Saturday. A league cup tie (I was a bit nervy taking a cup game on as my first game anyways!) and heavens above ended up being a bit of a nightmare.

The Good

Well looking back I should have cracked down harsher, earlier. I let a a bit of jockeying for headers go which quickly escalated to other areas of the pitch and even then hitting the whistling for some it made me look a little inconsistent having let worse go in the opening 15 or so. But I know looking back I should have cracked down more.

I was also happy with my decisions (I'll get to them in a mo!) I know I could walk away feeling I'd made the right choices and happy with the cards I dished out.

Despite the losing team having literally nothing good to say about me the captain from the winning team (who was the best sportsman on the pitch by far) came up to me after the game and thought I'd handled a tastey game pretty well and I said I didnt think I had the best one and he said I thought I'd done well as I actually spoke to the players and least gave them an explanation of why something was given or not. He said too often a ref will just shake his head and thats it, least I gave a quick shout as to why I didnt give something. He felt that stopped alot more questions being asked.

The Bad

The away team which ended up winning turned up and I'd say their average age was about 30, compared to the real young home team, which immediately had me worried. You know you can just tell a bunch of older wiser players who've got plenty of tricks up their sleeve along with some real youngsters who looked like they'd get wound up easily. It did end up like that with the away team getting really under their skin making for a fairly tense encounter, but not my fault, just something I had to manage.

First big call was a hand ball by the keeper, came to the edge of his area and grabbed the ball, I wasnt too close, but in my mind wasnt outside the box so I was happy. Then the footballing gods were smiling on me as the keeper lumped it down field, defender missed it, striker is through on goal, keeper charges out and as the forward takes a shot the keeper is about a yard outside the box and hits his hand. Bugger, got to blow for that one as was much closer and could see it. Cue a god awful amount of moaning as could be expected. AS I'd literally just denied a fairly similar shout 10 seconds earlier. I booked the keeper as in my mind if the striker was having a shot it would have needed a decent amount of swing to have gone on target, more likely I think he was trying to knock it round the keeper to slot it home. So I was happy with the card. But then at half time I had the line-o from the attacking team tell me I'd bottled the decision, then he made the great claim that a new law has just come in that if a goal keeper handles the ball outside the box its a red card.

Still first half was alright, plenty of mouth going on which I tried to calm down, but both teams were really having a go at each other.

Second half 15 mins in and the winger is getting down the side, defender is pulling him, I blow for the free kick and the winger then swings round and smacks the defender with his elbow. I immediately think bugger, there really wasnt any other choice than to bring out the red. I understand theres trying to shake a player off, but this was clearly a deliberate swing of the arm to catch him with the elbow. Needless to say the player walking wasnt happy and neither were any of his team mates. From that point onwards the team down to 10 are totally losing their discipline, giving away loads of silly fouls, and then had a couple more bookings for dissent even when I was giving them a free kick.

10 men went on to lose 3-1 from being 1-0 up. I realised how big an impact giving a red card has and maybe I should have gone for a yellow, although I'm fairly sure he threw the elbow on purpose.

Final problem was the game was in a school so girls and boys changing rooms, all my stuff was with the home team that had lost so getting my stuff I basically had to endure them just going on about what a poor ref they'd had, how they'd been robbed etc. I normally just leave my bag in the car and shoot off straight away so wish I'd done that now!

I think I've learnt a good few lessons from it and will give another open age game a go again soon, but certainly was a baptism of fire shall we say!

The Referee Store
Lesson Learnt - Never Change with teams lol.

Thats just a normal game here in Norfolk lol dont worry about it. Stick by your guns.

In your report dont put that you think the elbow has deliberate . Tell them is was otherwise if the player appeals they will pick up on your report that your unsure if it was deliberate and then he will win.

Keep smiling :D

I came back feeling a bit down after it, but think there was some positives and also kinda thought what really is a player going to think of the ref if I send off one of their players after 60 minutes with them 1-0 and then they go on to lose 3-1. I'm obviously easy to lay the blame with.

I put my report and said it was deliberate, I'm confident it was. Theres a difference from trying to shake someone off and then trying to lump someone in the eye.

After the game one of their players said they were facing leg breaking tackles and then they sent off for retaliating. He seemed to shut up when I pointed out having your shirt pulled is hardly leg breaking and yup thats the rules, just cause your having your shirt pulled doesnt give you the right to whack someone with an elbow.

Seems like you dealt with everything well enough mate, but as you said.. It was your first game at adult level, everyone will make mistakes. But it sounds like you managed to handle things well. In the case of the two handballs, the first one sounds like you had to be there so I won't pass any judgement on that one, but if you were sure he was inside the box, then they can't contest anything.

Obviously lessons learnt will be to clamp down on dissent faster, adults will escalate it a lot quicker than youths and sometimes a strong word isn't what they need, they need showing you won't take any s***.

With regard to the CAR telling you that about GK handballs, tell him where to go with that one. We are the enforcers of the laws, and unless he is part of the new FIFA Task Force tasked with tweaking some laws then his views, as brilliant as he thinks they are need to be ignored.

However, take what you have from this first game, and implement it. The captain said you did well to communicate to the players, that is always good to hear. Ref's who communicate generally are the ones who have less dissent because they are willing to talk to the players, just ensure you don't make yourself SO open that they contest everything; I always make it clear players can talk to me but not to the extent where it is every call.

Lesson Learnt - Never Change with teams lol.

Thats just a normal game here in Norfolk lol dont worry about it. Stick by your guns.

In your report dont put that you think the elbow has deliberate . Tell them is was otherwise if the player appeals they will pick up on your report that your unsure if it was deliberate and then he will win.

Keep smiling :D

Andy, he'd have a job to appeal unless the game somehow finds it way onto Sky or other, what with the new system this season of no appeals unless there is video evidence/clear mistaken identity.

Welcome to open age football :D

From what it sounds like, you had a good game. You'll know when you've had a bad game, trust me

Your first open age game is never easy, and this game sounds like it was quite "tasty" only thing id say, you may need to clamp down on dissent a little bit earlier. Shows the players that you won't be taking any nonsense, doesn't always work, but more often than not, it has the desired effect

Keep your chin up and keep smiling

I had no idea about the no appeals system

My bad lol
Really? It was well documented during the summer that we were changing to Match-based disciplinary and that appeals were now only valid with video evidence/stonewall mistaken identity. Really just to stop people appealing come the end of the season so they can play in their cup final and then turn up to the hearing and admit the charge, which wastes everyones time.

Seems like you dealt with everything well enough mate, but as you said.. It was your first game at adult level, everyone will make mistakes. But it sounds like you managed to handle things well. In the case of the two handballs, the first one sounds like you had to be there so I won't pass any judgement on that one, but if you were sure he was inside the box, then they can't contest anything.

Obviously lessons learnt will be to clamp down on dissent faster, adults will escalate it a lot quicker than youths and sometimes a strong word isn't what they need, they need showing you won't take any s***.

With regard to the CAR telling you that about GK handballs, tell him where to go with that one. We are the enforcers of the laws, and unless he is part of the new FIFA Task Force tasked with tweaking some laws then his views, as brilliant as he thinks they are need to be ignored.

However, take what you have from this first game, and implement it. The captain said you did well to communicate to the players, that is always good to hear. Ref's who communicate generally are the ones who have less dissent because they are willing to talk to the players, just ensure you don't make yourself SO open that they contest everything; I always make it clear players can talk to me but not to the extent where it is every call.

Andy, he'd have a job to appeal unless the game somehow finds it way onto Sky or other, what with the new system this season of no appeals unless there is video evidence/clear mistaken identity.

Well I dont know what appeal system you've been looking at. Only recently did a player punch a local referee and get away with it at the appeal. Nothing about there having to be video evidence etc.

Well Match-based suspension was brought in over the summer and the onus was on the fact that now there could be no appeals without video evidence/proven mistaken identity.. God knows what happened in that case then Glenn, i'm puzzled..

Well Match-based suspension was brought in over the summer and the onus was on the fact that now there could be no appeals without video evidence/proven mistaken identity.. God knows what happened in that case then Glenn, i'm puzzled..

Don't forget that every county is different, in reference to all sorts of things. They may say that in some counties and not others.

Don't forget that every county is different, in reference to all sorts of things. They may say that in some counties and not others.
Strange that. I seem to remember them saying that match based was being brought in countrywide in line with the pro game.

Strange that. I seem to remember them saying that match based was being brought in countrywide in line with the pro game.
That was my thinking also. It's caused a lot of confusion too

May I ask why you don't think you should have sent the player off for elbowing his opponent in the face? That's rather worrying to hear given that this is quite clearly a case of VC.

Back