A&H

Wearing a bib

joe cunningham

u15 game today. Turn up and the away team are in black... The manager went 'Ref can u put this bib on please'. So I replied no and said your not supposed to wear black you's will have to wear the bibs. We don't have enough for everyone he says, you'll have to wear this. So that was me in a stinky moldy bib for 80mins. :hmmm::mad: Report going in to the league later I think....

The Referee Store
Report it mate.

Not supposed to wear bibs as a ref, although I know some say it's pragmatic to just wear it and report later. I personally will never put on a bib.

Report it mate.

Not supposed to wear bibs as a ref, although I know some say it's pragmatic to just wear it and report later. I personally will never put on a bib.

I wasn't to pleased to wear it to be fair. Said that I couldn't access my top pockets of my shirt but just thought I'd save the arguments and wear the thing.

I have a team local to me that whenever I have them ask if they can play in their mostly black top, me in a bin (lol thanks autocorrect for that, meant bib). Every time I say no they can't wear it. They say they don't have another top, I say not my problem and an alternative set of tops appear.

When asked why they go through this ritual every time despite knowing my stance, the manager (nice chap by the way) laughed and said a lot of refs will wear the bib and let them play in black.

I have a team local to me that whenever I have them ask if they can play in their mostly black top, me in a bin (lol thanks autocorrect for that, meant bib). Every time I say no they can't wear it. They say they don't have another top, I say not my problem and an alternative set of tops appear.

When asked why they go through this ritual every time despite knowing my stance, the manager (nice chap by the way) laughed and said a lot of refs will wear the bib and let them play in black.
Being a young ref I don't really want to cause much trouble for my self and start potential conflict. Next time though I think I will point blank refuse.

Shouldn't have played the game.

It's because of referees like you that teams continually pull these stunts. We are nearly at the end of the season so it can't be the first time they have played in their kit.
If the league are allowing them to play in a black kit, then refuse to play game, report to CFA and let them sort it out.

Being a young ref I don't really want to cause much trouble for my self and start potential conflict. Next time though I think I will point blank refuse.

If you don't want potential conflict you have made a poor choice in starting refereeing......just about every decision you will make is a potential conflict!

Shouldn't have played the game.

It's because of referees like you that teams continually pull these stunts. We are nearly at the end of the season so it can't be the first time they have played in their kit.
If the league are allowing them to play in a black kit, then refuse to play game, report to CFA and let them sort it out.
Just sent an email off to the league reporting it. Hopefully it gets sorted

This one thing I hate we have the teams that play in navy/ and there few teams that play in black white but least it does not clash with referee

Well being a 15 year old kid would you not be a bit wary?
Fair point mate. Some of us forget what it is like to be 15 years old (it was quite a longtime ago in fairness!) when we post advice.

As for @Padfoot he sometimes lacks the ability for empathy. In fact if you look up curmudgeon in the dictionary it simply says padfoot. :)

Settle down there padders. Young referee coming onto the forum for opinion and advice not to be told off.

Fair point mate. Some of us forget what it is like to be 15 years old (it was quite a longtime ago in fairness!) when we post advice.

As for @Padfoot he sometimes lacks the ability for empathy. In fact if you look up curmudgeon in the dictionary it simply says padfoot. :)

Settle down there padders. Young referee coming onto the forum for opinion and advice not to be told off.

So we should just pretend that all is well and that there was nothing wrong with his actions?

Yeah, that'll really improve things.

The truth is often unpalatable and painful....doesn't mean it should be hidden.

You showed some common sense, well done. Report it to the league now.

And created a problem for next weeks ref.

Yes, well done.

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
You say it asif it's a real big thing.. I wore a bib to avoid arguments and get the game started.

What is your issue?

Ok.....you shouldn't have worn the bib. By doing so, next week, when the referee rightly refuses to wear it they will be pressurised by the team telling them that 'last weeks ref', you, wore it.
This may make them feel obligated to wear it....thus perpetuating the problem.

Out of interest, when you expressed your displeasure at wearing at, did they say that other refs had worn it without an issue?

Also, you stated that you didn't want to cause problems and wanted to avoid potential conflict.
Whilst I understand the sentiment, refereeing is full of potential conflict, and if you're not prepared to deal with it from the outset, then you may struggle.

You set the tone for the game right from your arrival at the ground, and if you compromise on such a simple premise as kit colours then you send a message that you are able to be swayed which may carry on into the game itself, and invites players to pressure you into changing decisions etc.

Be strong from the outset.

Paddy come on give the kid a break his here to learn yeah really we can praise him for using a little bit of common sense then the county FA or even the league can fine them until they get the picture that a black kit cannot be used

Padfoot has been thread banned. I don't disagree with some of what your saying padfoot, neither does Joe if you read his earlier replies - no need to beat on the guy just for the sake of it. Young ref, learning his trade. Support and encourage is what the forum is all about.

Normal service has resumed.

Back