A&H

Verbal Abuse - Restart Question

This got me thinking. The list should include substituted players and possibly sent off players which could be inclusive in the word "player". But say a player uses offensive language against themselves (or an act which is not against anyone) and the referee deems is offensive enough to stop play and send player off. What's the restart?
Answer pending ;) great minds and all that. 😁

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
This got me thinking. The list should include substituted players and possibly sent off players which could be inclusive in the word "player". But say a player uses offensive language against themselves (or an act which is not against anyone) and the referee deems is offensive enough to stop play and send player off. What's the restart?
IFAB say indirect free kick.

Reactions: one
What about situations where the intended recipient/target/victim is not clear.

The law says it is an offence to use offensive/insulting/abusive language, this does not necessarily need to be directed at a person or thing... So would simply the use of offensive/insulting/abusive language with no target just be an indirect free kick?

They responded with:

Correct!

Totally disagree based on this q&a:

View attachment 6163

Add to that when the law was changed:
View attachment 6166

The restarts differing are for physical offences and the ALL verbal offences are idfk. That's pretty explicit here.
Why would they say drop ball if it’s a spectator and not just stick with IFK. I mean they list all other bodies on the sideline with IFK.. just seems to be over complicating things.

Why would they say drop ball if it’s a spectator and not just stick with IFK. I mean they list all other bodies on the sideline with IFK.. just seems to be over complicating things.
Who knows. The principle though is that a free kick can only be awarded against a player. As set out in the explanation:

A free kick/penalty kick can only be awarded for an offence committed against someone on the team lists (players, substitutes, substituted players, sent-off players and team officials) or a match official. If play is stopped because of an incident involving any other person, animal, object etc. (outside agent), play restarts with a dropped ball, except where a free kick is awarded for leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission.

For decades, it was simple. Unless there was a foul, a caution/send off was an IFK as an “other” event. As they stRted tinkering, it all just got complicated failure to think of all the plausible events and ensuring the language addressed them.

What about situations where the intended recipient/target/victim is not clear.

The law says it is an offence to use offensive/insulting/abusive language, this does not necessarily need to be directed at a person or thing... So would simply the use of offensive/insulting/abusive language with no target just be an indirect free kick?

They responded with:

Correct!
And what if we don't know who the intended target, but everyone else does?
Cue: chaos

As always.

Back