A&H

VAR Process map

one

RefChat Addict
(Thought to put this here since VAR is going into the LOTG)

Many of the debates on VAR comes from mis/understanding the process and lack of simple explanation of it. The protocol is wordy and sometime confusing. I looked for a simple process map/chart to no avail. I thought of producing one from the IFAB VAR handbook V8 albeit my understanding of it and some press releases on VAR here on A-League. It took a few hours work on the weekend. I will try to verify it by some authoritative sources (possibly IFAB) in the near future. Nonetheless I thought it will be useful sharing it here and get some feedback first.

The image is a bit grainy but the attached PDF has better resolution.

1522239345718.png

Attachments

• VAR Process.pdf
    158.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
The Referee Store
What a load of old clap trap dreamt up by complete idiots!!! The game is fooked!!! Bin it now!!!

Nice work. Sort of sad thing i'd spend hours doing...
Time well spent me thinks (replacing the time for refereeing a cancelled trial game). I now understand what should happen in a review much better :)

I have made my position on VAR clear in the past. I don't like it as it stands. I don't think we are ready for it. In fact I know we are not ready for it. I like it in principle though. Especially the main principle of "minimum interference – maximum benefit". But we are not even close to it. We should have improved in many areas before it went 'live'.
- More training in trials and friendly games to get the process right
- Much better technology to support accurate decision making
- Some tweaking of the protocol to vastly improve speed of reviews. E.g., referee just trusting VAR on most subjective decisions just like factual decision.
- Better public education. Football is a spectator sport. Without them, there will be no future. When spectators are confused about what is happening and why is it happening, their experience is ruined.

Having said that football at its highest levels is a commercial entity. Referee errors can have ramifications for one team or even one city/county's economy (well indirectly :) ). VAR will be here to stay.

Last edited:
This highlights so much of what's wrong with VAR - it's overly complex, leading to inconsistency, as well as meaning that fans, players, managers, and not even referees understand VAR usage. VAR should only come in at the referee's request - non of this 'checking in the background' nonsense. That's horrible, and increases inconsistency too. None of this 'I'll review the goal even though nobody is questioning anything' rubbish either.

This highlights so much of what's wrong with VAR - it's overly complex, leading to inconsistency, as well as meaning that fans, players, managers, and not even referees understand VAR usage.
I know the diagram looks hideous, but it's honestly not remotely complex.

If you follow the flow chart through, any incident can pass through no more than 6 questions (diamond) boxes. 3 of those 6 cover if the VAR is even allowed to get involved (left half of the chart) and if the answer to any of those 3 questions is no, the on field referee doesn't even have to know the VAR has done anything. Then two questions cover if the referee wants to accept the new decision, have a look himself or ignore the VAR, with the final question being the summary question of "Having considered what the VAR told me/what I saw in the pitch-side review, do I stick with the original decision or change it?"

VAR should only come in at the referee's request - non of this 'checking in the background' nonsense. That's horrible, and increases inconsistency too. None of this 'I'll review the goal even though nobody is questioning anything' rubbish either.
Having said that, I agree with most of this section - the system is flawed, and needs to be changed so it's used less, for the sake of match flow. The only thing I'd change from what you said is make it so the VAR is used at a team's request via a challenge system, to put even less pressure on the ref.

Back