A&H

VAR News from Norway - "We want it to eventually become like the NFL"

BAFRA #77

This year, VAR will be introduced in the Eliteserien. Head of Refereeing Terje Hauge believes that in a few years the referees and TV viewers will be able to gain an insight into the VAR decisions.

- Let's say that we look five years ahead, then I am convinced that one day it will come. Like in American football, says Terje Hauge.

In American football, the referee has a microphone that he/she can use to speak over the loudspeaker system in the arena.

- And you think that's good?

- Yes. In any case, I am a supporter of working to achieve that. But it is with the assumption that we comply with IFAB and Fifa, which are the organizations we are forced to follow, he says.

The former top referee is now head referee in the Norwegian Football Association (NFF). He says that the association is positive about developing the concept around VAR, Video Assistant Referee, to give the public and TV viewers the best possible experience.

Hauge: Not in 2023

The basis for what the referees can do is the regulations of the International Football Association Board (IFAB).

- In 2023, we will train to become good in the roles we have. From 2024 we will see if we are ready to open up communication out there, everything from the stadium to the TV viewers. We are at the forefront and want to help develop the concept of VAR to the very best for all viewers who love football, says the head referee.

Hauge is clear that they must follow the protocols set internationally. There, right now, it is not open to share the communication between the referee and VAR during the assessment of a situation.

- I am very sure that communication between VAR and referees will open up within a few years in international football in various leagues and certainly also in Norwegian football, says Hauge.

- Must make it as accessible as possible

Referee Espen Eskås has himself refereed matches with VAR and got the chance in the Champions League match between Leipzig and Celtic in the autumn.

He is happy about the introduction of VAR, and says he is convinced that it will improve the football product in Norway. Eskås is also open to give the public more insight.

- We agree that if VAR is to become a product that everyone embraces, then we must make it as accessible as possible. If it means opening up dialogue and communication with the public, then we are keen to be part of that journey, says Eskås, and emphasizes that he is speaking on behalf of himself.

- Hauge says it will be like American football. What do you think?

- It is important to find a sensible balance. If modifying the use of VAR makes it more attractive to come to the stadium, then we referees are very involved in looking at solutions. For us referees, it is also much more prestigious to officiate in front of full stands, he says.

IFAB says to NRK that challenges related to sharing referee communications will, among other things, be related to the integrity of the referee, protection of data, language challenges and that it may affect communication between the referees.

They state at the same time that it is something that is being discussed at several levels internally in IFAB, but that they cannot provide any further information.

The desire to open up communication is well received outside the referee office.

- If they are confident enough in themselves, then it will go very well. If they are tough enough to be clear and stand by the decision they have made, people may agree or disagree afterwards, but I think most people will have great respect for that, says Viking player and NRK's football expert Kristoffer Løkberg.

TV 2's sports commentator Mina Finstad Berg believes openness about why the decisions are made will be "hugely important" for the introduction of VAR to be a success.

- The fact that one gets an explanation, I think would have been great and many would have greatly appreciated it. I think it also gave a valuable insight into how the judges work, she says.

- I think it is terribly difficult to fully understand the job that the referees have out on the pitch. Being released a little closer to that, I think could also be good for the judges, says Finstad Berg.

A&H International
All that money for VAR is money that could go to grassroots football. I’m amazed the league and teams can afford it. I’m gonna presume the only way poor leagues can afford VAR is if there are new ad break revenue generation opportunities. There will be pressure on IFAB. Sad I think.

Back