A&H

Unfortunate - but ..?

Alex71

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Incident in my game on Saturday ... I'm happy with what happened - but it left a sour taste in the game (especially as it happened after only 10 mins) ... please let me know if you think I got it wrong and / or could have done anything differently!

White vs Purple

White score - as we are getting ready for the re-start - white left back is sitting on the floor (injured)

White players tell me this - I see it - acknowledge the players - wander down to the white left back area to see how he is

As I get there - he is up and positioning himself for the restart - I ask him if he is OK and OK to continue - he tells me yes - he is ready to go, doesn't need injury-assistance

I wander back up to half-way line - blow the whistle to re-start

Purple have spotted that the white GK is out of position (front right of his penalty area)

Purple take a correct kick off - forward touch, shot at goal - it goes in

White aren't happy - said 2-3 of them (including the GK but not the left back) were talking about getting spray on for the player

I allow the goal

The Referee Store
sounds good to me. White player said he was good to play so it's a goal.

nothing wrong with it, it's not as if you had a secret kick off with the purples :D

Nothing wrong with it.
I do have a habit of running a quick visual check before restarting but at the end of the day, the players are responsible for being in their correct positions.

You were totally right -- if the players saw you go down the LB and then come back to centre, plus heard your whistle go to restart play, plus they could have asked their teammate if he needed spray (or better yet, mind their own) then there were ample opportunities for them to respond accordingly.

Have to agree with everyone here. You were happy that he was ok, game on. You've done everything right there.

Although correct in law, the whole situation could have been avoided, cutting you some slack.

A quick check to see if everyone is ready could have been utilised. You would have noticed the keeper, and could have said something like "Keeper - everything alright?!" this makes him aware that you are ready, and hopefully he'll get back in goal! This only takes a few seconds, and you as the referee are in time of charge, so take as much time as you need. Everyone would have appreciated it, and the game could have just carried on as normal.

Personally, a quick run over, what's the harm? Maybe the injured player isn't ready, I don't know.

Each to their own.

He's not controlling the restarts at all...

We both have different views on this. Lets leave it there.

I'm simply saying that if you're waiting on him to get started, he exercises undue influence on when the match gets restarted. It is his job to either be in position or notify you of any reason why he shouldn't be so leave it to him.

I'm all for being correct in law AND doing a bit extra to cut me some slack :)

In this incident I saw one injury - checked it - got the OK from the player - re-started the game correctly - didn't have a 360 degree scan around the pitch - there was no one else within 10-15 yards of the player ...

I always check the GK is ready (not just on the pitch but gives me a wave) at the start of each half - I know some people ask why ref's do this - nothing in law to say the ref must - except to say that each team must have a GK at all times (says nothing about the GK paying attention!) ...

I don't want to be checking every one of the 22 players is ready to go each time (kick off, free-kicks, whatever) - maybe I'll just make sure I blow the whistle as loud as I can each time!

Back