A&H

U14 Premier League Youth Tournament

Should a blind eye be used for 'potential' stars of the future?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 100.0%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Charlie Jones

Work Until You Don't Have To Introduce Yourself
afternoon Chappies

thought I'd cast your thoughts here ...

officiated in the U14 Premier League Youth Tournament (South Regionals) at the weekend and was told in a briefing by 3 representatives of the Premier League to 'let any shirt grabbing/pulling go' i.e. in the box for a corner, when you have a hold on the attackers shirt - apparently they are taught in the academies that this is ok and will be confused if we blow up for it, and the coaches won't be impressed!!

do we agree that its correct? or wrong?

The Referee Store
Blimey, asking officials to ignore LOTG and be "creative"

That's a little "unusual" to say the least.

Not going to go down well with some on here!;)

afternoon Chappies

thought I'd cast your thoughts here ...

officiated in the U14 Premier League Youth Tournament (South Regionals) at the weekend and was told in a briefing by 3 representatives of the Premier League to 'let any shirt grabbing/pulling go' i.e. in the box for a corner, when you have a hold on the attackers shirt - apparently they are taught in the academies that this is ok and will be confused if we blow up for it, and the coaches won't be impressed!!

do we agree that its correct? or wrong?

Shocking to be honest. :eek:
Reminds me of a thread I stuck on here when I first joined about the notion of not sending a 14 year old off for DOGSO - purely because that's what they're used to. Forget it. Laws is laws.

I'd have just stuck to the LOTG.

I'll admit, I did as I was told ... was no way I was disobeying 3 premier league staff members, an FA rep and 2 CFA assessors

Exactly why Academy football is so damaging to grassroots football. Imagine all those thousands of youth players released from academies who end up back in 'regular' football suddenly confronted with referees who do the job properly?

And proves the point about how our elite officials have to sell their integrity if they wish to continue at that level.

Surprisingly, I don't do academy games.

For me, it proves that PGMOL officials/anyone to do with the PL are given instructions away from LOTG. We've all lipread plenty of player-referee conversations on MOTD where there should be an early shower taken by the player(s) but nothing happens. Sad to hear that there's interference at academy level too.... Personally, only had one PL Academy Cup match and didn't even meet the PL rep.

One of my local mates was there @Charlie Jones, Thomas Johnson? He's a reffing addict and done something like 40-50 games already this season!

On topic, how daft. I remember reffing a lad in a local tournament who was dirty and dissentful to me. Turned out he had been released by a prem club and had a big chip on his shoulder.

London Prem academies don't either ask for this, not get away with it.

In fact I've given a Penalty (and numerous FK) for just this action.

@HRW this isn't a 'London Prem' academy, these are premier league acadamies - classed under the actual FA, no CFA's

@DanRicketts ahh yes I know Tom, good ref! 4- 50 games? jesus! he must be a big fan!

It's just stupidity. If I ever end up with a 'friendly' match...say, a preseason between 2 teams of the same club, I'll tell them beforehand that I'm going to treat them just the same as a real match with cards. Doing any differently is doing them a disservice, otherwise they'll get used to doing one thing in these pretend matches, and then get crucified by the referee in a real match.

this is probably half the problem - because when these kids are unleashed on the real world you have 22 players doing the same thing, so the referee just lets it go because the players seem happy to accept that as the standard. Thus, refereeing just becomes more random.

A thought occurred to me. If you are doing a match like this, and blow for these types of offences, where perhaps you had been "instructed" pre-KO to let them go, do the teams (jointly) have any right at half-time to relieve you of your duties, or once you've blown the whistle for the KO of the first-half, they cannot interfere and have to leave you in place for the full game?

I very much doubt they'd relieve you of your duties, we was just told that the teams wouldn't be too impressed

Back