A&H

Junior/Youth U12 Game

Josh the referee

Level 7 Referee
Just need some things cleared up as to whether they are the right decisions.

First incident, Home Team Keeper has the ball in their hands to kick it, Away Team player stands in front, deliberately moves to block it. It then hits him and nearly enters the goal, I gave an idfk for the Home Team. Didn’t think it warranted a caution, especiallly at this level. He was also down on the floor having had a ball to the chest and needed the coach to come on.

Second incident, Away Team Player says something the lines of "stupid referee, he must be blind". I gave an idfk where the player was and preceded to Sin-Bin him for dissent. Whilst I was trying to do that, he walks away twice and I call him back. Should I be sterner in my approach?

The Home Team would've won a corner maybe a few seconds after I had given the idfk (continuing on from the above), should I have played advantage?

And just in general, do people think I handled the situations well? Or do I need to change my approach?

The Referee Store
1. Players are not allowed to interfere with the release of the ball from the hands. IDFK is the correct restart. In practice I use a pretty liberal interpretation of this. Let the GK take the kick unmolested. I think you got this right.

2 & 3. I would not caution for that comment unless it's a long time after the decision they're complaining about and it's loud. Even if I were going to caution for dissent I would let play go on until the next stop. If I'm cautioning a player at that age who walks off, I'd summon the captain, loudly warn the player that he's getting a first caution for dissent, he does not want a second caution, and then actually issue two cautions if he doesn't comply. I'd have a meaningful look at the coach. Can't say I didn't warn you.

Thanks for that, with the sin-bin he'd made a few comments already, perhaps I should've had a word with him, but he knew it was coming and so did the parents, no comments whatsoever from them 🤣 (for once)

Do you mean a caution for walking away and then the sin-bin?

With U12s, they have barely seen cards before I'd say. Might've been a response to not understanding the name taking process as opposed to dissent or being uncooperative. Obviously I wouldn't known since I wasn't there, but it can be difficult to navigate at that age.

Back