A&H

Two finger guesture

Yoda_72

I’ve just refereed an U14 v U13 Pre-Season game, and the U13s won 9-0.
One of the U14 players made a strong challenge that I called up as reckless and asked the player to come over to me, so I could isolate him for a chat and yellow card.
He refused to walk over, so I warned him that I could SinBin him for 8mins if he’s not careful under the descent rule, so he walked up to me and showed me two fingers.
I sent him off, but looking through the codes should I have SinBinnes him instead?
All advice welcome…
Thanks

The Referee Store
If you considered the gesture offensive, red is defensible.

The vast majority of sending offs for Offensive, Insulting and Abusive are for the words used, but law covers gestures too.

As an aside, given the poor attitude displayed by the player in question, this is a lesson he needs to learn the hard way.

I once stuck two fingers up at a manager after he asked me how much stoppage time there was left. There was two minutes left.

I couldn't take any referee seriously who sees a player flick him the V and tries to pass that off as merely dissent! Red card all day long.

Also - don't forget to send in the yellow for the reckless tackle as well as the red 👌

If you, or or you believe others, considered the gesture offensive, red is mandatory .
Fixed this up a bit 😃.

For the OP, technically you should have shown him the yellow card first for the reckless challenge, then the red card for offinabus and clear communication to indicate what the two cards were for. But it is common practice if there is a red card offence before the card for a yellow card offence is shown, then only the red card is shown.

For the OP, technically you should have shown him the yellow card first for the reckless challenge, then the red card for offinabus and clear communication to indicate what the two cards were for. But it is common practice if there is a red card offence before the card for a yellow card offence is shown, then only the red card is shown.
I remember one game many years ago where a player went down in the box as a corner came in, claiming he had been kicked in the knee (I was 10 yards away, had a perfect view and saw nothing remotely resembling a kick), play has continued and when the ball next went out of play I called the physio on as he had remained sat on the ground.

While being treated he starts having a go from 50 yards away at the player who's supposedly kicked him, having warned him twice to stop he's carried on and I've decided to caution. As he limps off I advise him that he's being cautioned, to which he replies "F*** off you c***". "Oh, it's just changed colour!", as the yellow goes back in the pocket and the red is brandished. For good measure he then gives me the middle finger and shouts "You haven't called the f***ing foul you thick c***!".

I think that's the only time I've had the hat-trick of a caution, a dismissal and a misconduct report for the same player from the same game. Part of me did wonder whether it was overkill to put the yellow in too, but I figured as I had already told him he was getting it, it would only be fair!

I had experience of a player giving me a “ w*nk*r “ sign with his fist (after a I gave a free kick against his team); I mistakenly gave him a YC - he appealed and at his personal hearing it was upgraded to a YR - I got some further advice :) - he went home much poorer …

I had experience of a player giving me a “ w*nk*r “ sign with his fist (after a I gave a free kick against his team); I mistakenly gave him a YC - he appealed and at his personal hearing it was upgraded to a YR - I got some further advice :) - he went home much poorer …
On what grounds was he appealing a caution? Mistaken identity?

Showing your age @lesbobly - it's been a long time since you could appeal cautions! ;)
It’s true - I’m an oldie 😂😂😂😂 - this was back in the 80s
… and I’ve just rejoined the ladder back at the bottom rung … this time around I’m not chasing promotion but rather doing it for the fun 🤔

and he appealed on the basis that he didn’t do it!

Back