A&H

Turkish Super Liga Madness...

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Galatasaray 2 - 1 Trabzonspor

4 red cards for the away team (video to follow of all 4 when somebody puts it on YouTube, for now here's the last 2.

Lunacy!

The Referee Store
Dubious penalty!

No excuse for the reaction. Both reds are deserved. Gotta love the continental quick draw red!!!

Also, never walk backwards when confronted. Walk forwards or stand your ground, do not walk backwards it just encourages players to follow you.

Go on then, I'll get the ball rolling :). Overall, thought he handled a difficult situation pretty well (certainly the bits we saw on the video). Whilst the penalty was a marginal call, looked on the slow mo like the defender just played the man before the ball and so correct call from a good position. First red for the push on the ref was nailed on for me. Second red for showing the card to the ref I'd have gone Yellow for dissent (though couldn't really see which player was responsible for the card being on the floor in the first place). He stayed calm throughout, in the face of intense provocation. If I was being really picky then more empathetic body language might have helped diffuse .. but to be honest I think the players had lost it by then in any case ...

I think the player ducked down and knocked the card out of the ref's hand Russell (could only tell from the slo-mo). That would have raised it to a red.

couple of discussion points just for fun.why didnt he put the red card back in his pocked. 2nd red couldnt have happened,
2 he could have had about 5 yellows for crowding him, us, dissent
3 he didnt take the names/numbers of the players ordered off

Nothing surprises me where Turkish football is concerned! :confused:

Soft, but not necessarily incorrect decision. Referee appeared to have an unobstructed view judging by the replay from behind the goal.

Keeper/captain whilst showing some initial dissent himself, clearly takes exception to some of the behaviour of his team mates and takes it upon himself to restore some kind of order.

Both reds fully justified. Assaulting the referee - gone.
Knocking the cards out of the hand (although I can't see what happens in the video) for the player to then have the audacity to pick it up, raise it above the head and show the ref the exit was a moment of madness and is unacceptable behaviour. I had the same situation in December, player walked.

There's no place for that sort of behaviour. You also have to bare in mind you can't hear what is being said to the referee, this may have contributed to the red card.

As for the why not put the red away... Think about it... He's just sent a player off, leaves it out as a deterrent... I'd have done the same until the situation calmed down! Confrontations are ugly and should be dealt with accordingly. Good on this ref!

As for multiple cards for dissent... Although yes there is a case, what do you think could have happened had he started to dish out the cautions? My guess is that the already simmering temperature would have reached boiling point! He's managed the situation well here.

Last edited:
Just to put some further context behind this video, these are the 3rd and 4th red cards for Trabzonspor. The first two were both for two cautions.

It seems pretty clear that the first red in the video was for the chest bump not the challenge, but the idiot who received the second actually pulled the card from the referees hand, as can be seen on a different video at a different angle. With some force too.

This is actually the second penalty awarded in this game, with the first being to Trabzonspor in the first half to take a 1-0 lead.

They can hardly complain they've had nothing, as we've all heard in these situations.

Absolute nutters!

http://footyroom.com/galatasaray-2-1-trabzonspor-2-2016-02/

Worth watching the 8 mins. The referee didn't have best of games, at 0-0 Trabzonspor should have got a Penalty for a clear push.

A number of situations he didn't help himself. First red, hand ball didn't hit his hand, second yellow was a good challenge.

Number 4 who got two cautions was ill disciplined like most his team mates but the referee didn't really manage any of the situations very well.

3rd red, was a dive, but ran into the players and invited it.

All in all tough game but I'd of thought an experienced and talented referee to do much better in managing the situations and getting the big decisions right. Unfortunately it looks like the Turkish FA haven't supported him and are backing the player who got the 4th red! Mad.

It's rather concerning just how much that referee was pushed around there.....that league must have appalling discipline.

Oh, but they're just passionate boys.....I'm sure that's the excuse........

Reactions: DB
Missing ingredient #1 - is this Turkish football is like?

Funnily enough, all the Reds looked deserved to me. In fact he could have sent off more if he had cautioned more when he was being crowded!

Back