A&H

Tottenham Vs Brighton

Josh the referee

Level 7 Referee
Only just watched the highlights.

Assume that Stellini was sent off because they couldn't identify all of the coaches involved? Didn't look as of he was involved too much....

De Zerbi looked as if he provoked it all anyway before the match even began 🤣

The Referee Store
Think Brighton have every reason to feel aggrieved about this game. Not convinced about either of the Brighton disallowed goals for handball, certainly the 2nd one - looks like the attacker's hip, not arm on replays. First one, highly debatable, more shoulder than upper arm for me.

No idea what counts as clear and obvious anymore or where the supposed bar is set as you see a clear stamp on an opponent's foot not given in this game and yet Brentford were awarded a penalty after review for what appeared less contact.

Think Brighton have every reason to feel aggrieved about this game. Not convinced about either of the Brighton disallowed goals for handball, certainly the 2nd one - looks like the attacker's hip, not arm on replays. First one, highly debatable, more shoulder than upper arm for me.

No idea what counts as clear and obvious anymore or where the supposed bar is set as you see a clear stamp on an opponent's foot not given in this game and yet Brentford were awarded a penalty after review for what appeared less contact.
First disallowed goal was only handball because the defender pushed him first.

Very odd VAR officiating.

Mitoma - textbook definition of not handball according to the law accompanied by the picture often used in this forum. How the lino thought he could see it from his position is also a weird take on it, he is a miles away to interfere with such a big call. Not one player appealed which also speaks volumes.

Welbeck's goal, there is no conclusive evidence to prove it hit his arm. The angles shown suggests it hit his hip, not his arm, how can VAR give that as a handball? I thought it had to be 100% certain?

As mentioned above the foul on Mitoma is, well interesting.

Finally the two handed, clear and obvious, pull on March? What else can a player do before it's considered a pull? Anywhere else on the pitch and red gives a foul without thinking about it.

I honestly don't understand how a team of officials can get 4 incidents so so so wrong.. one you can forgive, but 4 opens up the conspiracy theories can of worms on twitter.

Thing what annoys me most, that could cost Brighton a Europa League/European Football next season. That's a serious dent in their push for it because of inexcusably poor officiating.

The first handball, I can understand (although I don't agree).
*The second was a hip-ball

*First foul in the box - clear error by the referee - trod on his foot!!
Second - A blatent pull.

Feel sorry for BHA. I think that there were 2 clear errors (the other two non * incidents are more subjective imo) where VAR should have intervened.

As for the managers - I agree that both needed the red - behaviour was poor and referee dealt with that. Think there were too many people causing trouble to differentiate who did what - simple red for each manager did the job.

Not entirely sure how this helps? Just rubs salt into the wounds. Maybe an award of an extra point would help the blow?

Two teams who have recent VAR howlers there could cost them in the run in.
Arsenal the title
Brighton European football

Could teams start filing law suits against loss of earnings when this happens?

For me, I'm happy with both handballs. I would make exactly the same decision if I was sat there as the VAR. As much as Brighton fans are outraged, think both are the right decisions.

Mitoma foul probably is a penalty, not much more needs to be said about that.

Not completely sold on the hold, something that hasn't been given a lot this season because of the higher threshold - that's one thing I would say has been somewhat consistent......

Mitoma - textbook definition of not handball according to the law accompanied by the picture often used in this forum. How the lino thought he could see it from his position is also a weird take on it, he is a miles away to interfere with such a big call. Not one player appealed which also speaks volumes.

Welbeck's goal, there is no conclusive evidence to prove it hit his arm. The angles shown suggests it hit his hip, not his arm, how can VAR give that as a handball? I thought it had to be 100% certain?

As mentioned above the foul on Mitoma is, well interesting.

Finally the two handed, clear and obvious, pull on March? What else can a player do before it's considered a pull? Anywhere else on the pitch and red gives a foul without thinking about it.

I honestly don't understand how a team of officials can get 4 incidents so so so wrong.. one you can forgive, but 4 opens up the conspiracy theories can of worms on twitter.

Thing what annoys me most, that could cost Brighton a Europa League/European Football next season. That's a serious dent in their push for it because of inexcusably poor officiating.

I am going for four out of four decisions clearly and obviously wrong. They clearly were not right.

For me, I'm happy with both handballs. I would make exactly the same decision if I was sat there as the VAR. As much as Brighton fans are outraged, think both are the right decisions.

Mitoma foul probably is a penalty, not much more needs to be said about that.

Not completely sold on the hold, something that hasn't been given a lot this season because of the higher threshold - that's one thing I would say has been somewhat consistent......

Does not make it right though, if that was outside the box, a free kick would be given, looked a clear foul to me.

Regarding the first pen appeal, this is where we need too hear the conversations because Attwell was adamant it was not a pen by the cutting the grass gesture so maybe he thought the player was on his way down before the contact and the VAR agreed with that?

The first disallowed goal I'm happy with, lino made an honest call and there was no definite proof he was wrong, the second one though seems inconclusive so the goal should of stood imo.

Looked like handball by Mitoma all day long to me. Certainly the arm action was enough to alert the AR to it, great spot. Mitoma even did it again a few minutes later. :rolleyes:

I think referring to the foul on Mitoma as a "stamp" is somewhat over the top. Sure, it was clumsy and a careless challenge which should have seen a penalty given but a stamp? No.

The other disallowed goal for accidental handball as it zipped into the net was borderline for me but if VAR consider that it even brushed his finger on the way past then the correct decision prevailed.

As for the shirt-pull, nah. We've all seen worse not given and I think too much was made of it because by then Brighton were deemed to have had more than one grievance during the game. If I was a Seagulls man I'd be pretty cheesed off with how the day went but hey, 5hit happens. :cool:

Mitoma we all can see it has hit his sleeve. Textbook definition of non-handball by the most recent update. I can't see how this can be debated because the still is literally the same as what we are taught.

With the welbeck goal, is there any evidence it 100% hit the arm? From MotD and Sky highlights, no. It goes near the arm, but we can't say it hit it as the cameras are blurry/wide angle and not fit for purpose. So I don't see how VAR can say it is handball without concrete proof.

With regards to the pull, I'm not sure how much more pulling a player can do before the shirt rips? Two hands to stop a player competing for the ball? If that's on a counter attack, that's a FK and caution all day long.

The first handball I think is the right decision, from the camera angle it looks more arm than shoulder.

The second handball for me came off the players hip.

Felt sorry for Stellini being sent off. Both sendings off from SA looked as if they lacked conviction. SA barely looked at De Zerbi or Stellini when showing the red card, I think he needed to explain why he sent them off and communicate what had the fourth official had actually told him?

I didn’t think the Mitoma penalty shout was a penalty, but the replay showed that it absolutely was. How has VAR not got invoked there?

Watching the game yesterday, I saw the second hand ball as hitting the hip and nowhere near hand. Seems like an easy call with all the camera angles but once again VAR controversy

I feel as if the PGMOL/FA almost need to come out and offer valid explanations for each of the decisions so that the fans and clubs can see exactly why they were made.

This is where Webb needs to take an opportunity and support his officials because realistically they made only 1 (maybe 2) incorrect decision(s) in this game.

People are still confused why Stellini was sent off because no one has given them an explanation.

I feel as if the PGMOL/FA almost need to come out and offer valid explanations for each of the decisions so that the fans and clubs can see exactly why they were made.

This is where Webb needs to take an opportunity and support his officials because realistically they made only 1 (maybe 2) incorrect decision(s) in this game.

People are still confused why Stellini was sent off because no one has given them an explanation.
The replays didn't show it, but a friend who was at the game said Stellini was involved in the melee at the start, possibly even starting it, then walked off when he realised it was kicking off. Described his reaction after in just standing there as like when you go downstairs to find the sofa ripped to pieces and the dog sitting there as if butter wouldn't melt 😂

Realistically the law about punishing the most senior coach is designed for lower level games with no 4th official. At top levels the 4th official should almost always know what has happened and who started it.

The replays didn't show it, but a friend who was at the game said Stellini was involved in the melee at the start, possibly even starting it, then walked off when he realised it was kicking off. Described his reaction after in just standing there as like when you go downstairs to find the sofa ripped to pieces and the dog sitting there as if butter wouldn't melt 😂
Saw De Zerbi go to shake his hand and thought we had another Conte Vs Tuchel fight on our hands.

Surely De Zerbi needs to be banned for the rest of the season from the touchline, he's getting sent off every other game 🤣🤣

BBC reporting VAR official Michael Salisbury for the game has been given the weekend off for failing to recommend a penalty review, whilst on-field referee Stuart Attwell is on VAR duty for Wolves Vs Brentford.

BBC reporting VAR official Michael Salisbury for the game has been given the weekend off for failing to recommend a penalty review, whilst on-field referee Stuart Attwell is on VAR duty for Wolves Vs Brentford.

Is Salisbury not doing a game in the Championship? He did the Burnley game v Sheff utd game on Monday so I would hardly say he's been dropped and nor should he really.

Back