A&H

Tom Davies shin pads

Jacob Walukiewicz

Currently watching Everton's europa league tie and noticed Davies' shin pads, it looks as though he has none on at all. Does anyone else think that his shin pads don't constitute 'reasonable degree of protection'?

The Referee Store
He will no doubt have kids ones on like jack grealish don't believe there is a regulation size is there?

There's no regulation size, but the law states they must provide a reasonable degree of protection and I think it can be argued that they do not provide such protection

but how can you prove that? would you have a look at every players and see if they're made of correct material / size? they could have anything down their socks after all!

i agree that these appear insufficient but surely players have to take a degree of responsibility for their own well-being and be trusted to wear something they believe meets the requirements

I agree with @es1 - particularly with professional players, whose very careers survive off the back of them avoiding injury, and especially serious injury. If those players are satisfied with the level of protection they have, that's up to them. Youth and below, I'd be having a word, any maybe preventing play, but big boys (and girls) carry responsibility for this on their own shoulders.

224251_54_news_hub_188484_656x500-jpg.1406

Mmmmm ???? Not a new issue!

It's hard to tell if he's even earing shin pads in this picture. If I saw a player like that I'd at least be having a look to check.

Had something similar in a youth tournament recently - both the referee and myself were agreed that the player couldn't play with his ridiculously small shinpads, as they didn't provide adequate protection.

Which got me reading the LotG afterwards...

As the law is written, it is the material of the shinpad, not the size, which must be deemed to provide reasonable protection. The only (indirect) reference to the size of the shinpads is that they must be covered by the sock - as long as they're made of suitable material you could cut them down as small as you like!

Had something similar in a youth tournament recently - both the referee and myself were agreed that the player couldn't play with his ridiculously small shinpads, as they didn't provide adequate protection.

Which got me reading the LotG afterwards...

As the law is written, it is the material of the shinpad, not the size, which must be deemed to provide reasonable protection. The only (indirect) reference to the size of the shinpads is that they must be covered by the sock - as long as they're made of suitable material you could cut them down as small as you like!
Might be a stupid question but hey ho...do goalkeepers have to have shin pads?

To be honest, when I'm the AR checking the players' equipment before the game, I don't think I even really look to see whether they have shinpads on... it's jewellery, undershirt/shorts, studs. I'd like to think I'd notice if a player didn't have them on though!

As for GKs... well, when I used to play, I definitely used trackie bottoms as a means of not wearing pads a few times!

To be honest, when I'm the AR checking the players' equipment before the game, I don't think I even really look to see whether they have shinpads on... it's jewellery, undershirt/shorts, studs. I'd like to think I'd notice if a player didn't have them on though!

As for GKs... well, when I used to play, I definitely used trackie bottoms as a means of not wearing pads a few times!
Well, I have a lesson...

I was AR for an elite youth game and our national ref sec was in the middle. I checked my team's equipment, walked the line up and back. Then the captain, in front of me, realised he had forgotten his shinpads! I had checked all the others but not looked straight down at the start! We laughed ot off and he went and got them... I always always always check, and always look down... Now;)

Back