A&H

Tips on positioning

matty639

Level 5 Referee
I'm currently in the process of attempting to promote from level 6 to 5 and have had two assessments so far this season already. On both occasions the assessors highlighted my need to develop my positioning. Some of the points I fully under stand such as facing my AR on free kicks etc and I'm trying to break the habit of where I stand with my club officials as this seems to be why I go to the wrong spots. One of the comments I received from the assessor was whilst my initial position on a corner was correct I should horseshoe to maintain a good view. He had a point as on one incident I missed a handball due to players coming across my view.

I've pretty much decided to treat my positioning as if I have neutral assistants from now but does anyone have any advice to improve this area, it seems to be my main weakness at the moment.

Last edited:
A&H International
One comment that I have had from assessors and also from coaches at the academy I go to, is using pro-active positioning rather than reactive positioning (and movement). Basically, position yourself in the area that you think play will move into, then if you have successfully done this, then the play will follow you. Rather than you playing catch-up with the play. Whilst it may work while you're young and fit, it helps when you get older (or so I have been told).

Not too sure of the relevance to positioning with what I have just said though. Just a consideration point.

Having been told my positioning is also my weakest area last season(! Well one of them said that) I was looking for articles on positioning earlier this week and found this

http://gdfra.org.au/Advanced_Referees_Positioning.ppt

One thing I have noticed from assessments last season, they seem to expect different things in terms of positioning. Conflicting advice depending on the assessors? Oh yes.

Without NARs it's a tricky one.

interesting Mr Monkey. I am also doing promotion this season and have already had my 3 assessments (which on the whole went very well indeed.) On my first one (marked 76) I got very positive feedback in general, but one of the coaching points was to take a deeper back post position from corners, so as to keep as much as possible in view. We discussed this at length and I agreed that taking a deeper position would be beneficial and I would adopt it from hereon in, thanks for your advice Mr Assessor, etc etc. On my third assessed game a couple of weeks ago, I continued to be deep at corners and to be brutally honest, had come round to the idea in the intervening period, and at the de-brief (I was marked 78 and he was extremely kind and positive about my game in general) this (different) assessor said, and I quote, "I have very little to offer as coaching points others than a thing or two that you could tidy up" Great I thought, that sounds like a good mark coming. He mentioned a couple of things which I took on board as very constructive and then his final point was, "now, onto corner kicks"

"You are very static at corners and for me, take up a position that is too deep" Now, I don't want to argue with him and of course he is trying to help me here, so I listen and discuss and thank him for his time etc. His opinion is that I should be on the edge of the 18 yard area quite central to start but varying my exact starting position slightly as to see the keeper and as much as possible without being in the way of any late runners into the box, before reacting to the kick, moving either toward the kicker if it looks like a weak or near post kick, or getting deeper if it is a lofty overhit number, basically REacting to the kick.

Both assessors were nice blokes, helpful, experienced and both gave me marks I was happy with, but how can they both be right? It seems purely a matter of opinion to me and I must confess, I am now unsure where to start and have taken a rather slapdash random approach, I start in all manner of positions at corners and whilst I can pretend its to keep players on their toes and not assuming where I will be, its actually because I haven't got the first clue what is the best procedure. Any views? Any assessors care to comment? Mr Hamilton for example, what is your advice to a young ref asking where to start for corners with club assistants? Working with neutrals is easier as you can trust them to police an area and work as a team.

Welcome to the world of assessors. It never changes, thats for sure. I'm still getting contradictory assessment points, both at Supply level in the middle and at Contrib level on the line. Just something you've gotta accept and take on the chin I guess

okay, let me change the line of enquiry slightly; where should a referee with club assistants stand at the first corner of the match, 5mins in? I am considering standing over the back post, almost off the pitch as I want to see ball out of play, or more importantly, over the goal-line. But I don't particularly fancy sprinting 70 yards chasing play after a long clearance!!

Suggestions please............

I normally stand on the goal line for the first corner just to see if my CARs are any good. If I can see that they are paying attention then I will go to the edge of the area for the next one. If not, have to stay there for the whole game. This was something that was highlighted at our course as good practice with a CAR.
In terms of running back up the pitch, you just have to hope you are fit enough and that they don't break to quickly!

For those wanting to get promoted from 7-6 and 6-5 you need to vary your start position rather than take up a static start point. Once the ball is kicked, move to keep the dropping zone in your line of sight between you and your AR (if your AR is monitoring offside for you), but ensure you have a side on or angled view of anywhere where an aerial challenge takes place.

For your first corner I would not recommend you start on the goal line as you have an immediate 18 yard disadvantage of the goalkeeper collects the ball and punts it downfield. So I would suggest you stand with the sun at your back, at the point where the penalty arc meets the edge of the penalty area and move either into or out of the penalty area to give you that angled view mentioned above.

Also at corner kicks be proactive with players jostling for position, especially where the goalkeeper is involved. One of the best tips I have picked up is at the ball is being placed for the corner just shout, "Leave it alone you two, I'm watching you" without looking at anyone in particular. I guarantee you will have at least 6 players look at you and one or two may say, "Me ref?"

Just to add to my note above, if you vary your start position too much I have no doubt at all that some assessors will query and point out that you couldn't make your mind up where to start from at corners lol

Read the play and get to where you need be to best see the next phase of play without damning yourself on the current phase.

Interesting discussion this. My positioning on corners and free kicks is very different when I have NARs to my positioning with CARs if any.

With good ARs, standing where the D meets the area and moving to accommodate the 'drop-zone' when the ball is in the air.

I was told in one assessment, without ARs, to stand on the goal line at corners, at the side of goal where the kick is coming from - that way you see the whole penalty area and all who are in it, whether the ball goes out of play or not, and also, if it is cleared, you are moving out with the 2nd last defender and in a better position to call offside when it gets hoofed back into the mix. If it is cleared and the attacker gets it, it's a quick sprint for 40 yds to get up with play again and I've never had an issue.
Then, I was 'advised' by a referee who was watching the game, (not assessing but he is NZs highest ever FIFA referee) that I should stay on the edge of the area regardless, because 'what if he plays it short and you're watching the area? It's all going on behind you then" to which I thought, 'Well if there's a short corner I'll see it coming and watch that, but I'm still in best place to see the melee in the box and still level with the offside'.

One tip I was given regarding assessors, if you know who it's going to be, look back at their last report on you, and concentrate on the points they gave you then. You can bet they have done the same, and will be looking at those things they told you to improve on last time. Improve on them and they will score you well.

Otherwise, you referee the best you can, from the best positions you can get to. I am afraid I am at the point where I will referee for a game, or I will referee for an assessment - not always exactly the same thing.

interesting indeed. Thanks Brian and others. Its a learning process obviously, but some useful advice as always.

Interesting to see the various viewpoints here. Positioning, particularly on corners, is one of the most difficult things to learn.

The best advice I can give is to find a position that works for YOU.

When I referee without NAR's, which is most of the time, I get in a position that allows me to see the goal line, 'the drop zone' and all the players in it and the offside when the ball is flicked on. Generally speaking, I stand just inside the box, level with the six yard line. I then move out with the last defender once the ball has been touched, which gets me back into a more conventional position to see any offsides.

My position can lead to a 40 yard sprint every now and again, but that's never really been an issue in terms of fitness. Maybe that will change in 20 years time when my fitness levels drop but for now, it's what works for me. My positioning at corners was picked up by an assessor, who suggested that I stand closer to the edge of the box. I tried to work with his suggestion for a couple of weeks, but found that that position wasn't allowing me to see what I needed to see, so I started using my original position again. Like I said, find something that works for YOU, the assessor isn't always right.

Putting an assessor cap on, I'd be tempted to say they want to see a referee take up varying positions over the course of the match rather than the same spot.

Go wild, move around a bit. Live a little!

With my assessing cap firmly on, I'd want to too see variation of positions at corners. That way players are never sure of where you're gonna be.

Some good points here, this weekend I made a conscious effort to vary my position and to keep moving as the play moves as well but I did find myself confusing myself by thinking I stood here last time should I move etc so I guess it will become second nature with more games.

I have to say I agree.
I got picked up on positioning at corners in my 3rd assessment - she thread.

Today I took up (what seemed like an unnatural position) on the goal line. due to my position I was able to have a really clear position on who touched the ball last and have another corner. The defence turned and looked and realised that I was in a good position. You could tell they were going to argue and thought "OH"

Back