A&H

Tips on controlling the game

refsteve98

I'm fairly new to refereeing; I have refereed 5 games now and I'm wondering if anybody has any tips or advice for keeping control of the game. I was the referee in an U10's game this morning and there were occasions where I felt that the players were making the decisions instead of me. How can I avoid that happening?

A&H International
Welcome to the site. The key thing in youth football is to make sure you're close to play and also be confident in every decision you give, simple things like nodding your head or making sure your arm is straight can make a huge difference!

Its all about confidence mate. If you havent already, I would recomend buying a new pealess whistle (I and many others use the trustworthy Fox 40 classic) and make sure you are loud and confident when blowing it. When you signal for throw ins, try and make sure your arm is a little bit above the 90 degree angle. Like make sure your arm is either straight, or pointing up a bit as I feel this makes you look a lot more certain of whos throw it is, than if you arm was slouched and pointing down. When reffing younger age groups like U10, be vocal and make sure you sound confident and have confident body language. For example, if its a corner shout something like 'corner ball' as well as signalling as young players dont normally understand the signals. Try not to slouch or look like your having a hard time if its a tough game, as players will pick up on this and take advantage. If you give a free kick for example and a player says 'thats not a fould ref!' have a word with him and make sure he knows your in control. In my first 6 or so games, I struggled massivley with match control but confidence will come over time, and you will learn that your decision is NOT wrong, just because the goal keeper who is 60 yards away from the incident claims he saw the player 'win the ball' ;) and whatever you do, dont favour your decision to one team because they keep having a go at you and you just want it to stop. Have a word with the manager and let him know your decision is final. If you do give in and let a spectator or olayer influence your decision, you will lose the respect of both sides, and thats not good!
All in all, just enjoy yourself out there mate! In 3 months time I guarantee you will be shocked at how far you have come. I find refereeing so enjoyable because I have gone through that stage of worrying about making a mistake. Players dont score every shot, so dont worry if you have a bad game! Every ref has them, just make sure it doesnt go to your head :)

A nice big smile goes a long way. The kids are there to enjoy the game (as are you!) so a pleasant and friendly approach from you can set a good atmosphere for the match.

Have you joined your local referee association? Good source of support and advice.

Good question and certainly one most, if not all, referees ask themselves if not others. I'd like to reiterate what the other guys have said, especially 'TheReferee123'. It's really important that you sell a decision even if you're not completely confident in it - giving a strong, clear arm signal at a throw in, even if it may be the wrong one, is better than standing still looking around for some divine intervention. I'm new to the whole thing as well and it got me down when I'd hear players and coaches questioning what I thought were good calls. I quickly realised they would question decisions regardless of whether they were right or wrong simply because it wasn't in their favour and that it was more important I walked off the pitch happy with my own performance than seeking the approval of others. Hope this helps and don't be afraid to ask more :)

I pretty much echo what has been said above. I know that it is easy for everyone to say "enjoy it" when you are having a game when everyone is on your back. The thing that I always try and do is as follows:
1. Make a decision. Even if it turns out to have been wrong, it is better than not making a decision.
2. You will always be a better ref than they will ever be a player.
3. The team attackers scored a goal because the defence let them through and the goalkeeper wasn't up to it. And it was never because of any decision I made.
If you have the confidence to sell the decisions and think of the 3 bits above, you will find that, however the two teams play, you will have had a good game.

Thank you all for the help guys! I have already ordered that whistle referee123 and I will try to make sure that my body language and signals show that I am confident and in control whilst still smiling and enjoying it. I will make sure that I make a decision and I will get around to joining my local RA.
Thanks again!

I had two Under 10 games this morning, A&B teams and it all went better than last week. I definitely had more control over the games this week, none of my decisions were disputed by anyone (even when I gave a penalty in the 2nd game after a mistimed tackle in the penalty area) and I could get the attention of the players far quicker with the Fox 40.

I had two Under 10 games this morning, A&B teams and it all went better than last week. I definitely had more control over the games this week, none of my decisions were disputed by anyone (even when I gave a penalty in the 2nd game after a mistimed tackle in the penalty area) and I could get the attention of the players far quicker with the Fox 40.

Nice one mate, sounds like you had a good game! If you appear 100% confident when giving a decision, players will often believe you and wont argue. Also, if someone looks on top of things, players realise they wont get away with discent!

Since I started refereeing (usually under 13's) I chose not to lecture players pre-match on what I would and wouldn't tolerate. Yesterday, however, I had an under 15's game (much better football but also older boys who know a lot more words and phrases if you get what I mean) and decided to tell them exactly how I expected them to treat me during the game. Result - dissent decreased and players accepted the vast majority of decisions without as much as a groan. Gaining respect early on, or at least letting players know in advance what your tolerance levels are pre-match, can certainly help controlling them during the actual 90 minutes. Hope this helps! :)

Back