A&H

Time Wasting

thing is TV dont give a sh*t about fans and that's just another case in point

they only care that they get to show the games they want at the times they want. experience and satisfaction of fans is at best secondary and at worst even further down the list

The Referee Store
thing is TV dont give a sh*t about fans and that's just another case in point

they only care that they get to show the games they want at the times they want. experience and satisfaction of fans is at best secondary and at worst even further down the list

100000% agree

covid was a broadcasters dream, no fans at all

75,000 not inside OT, means 150,000 extra viewers for the next Cola ad

Reactions: es1
As per, I struggle to waffle and keep things sweet so can only type it in black and white and hope it does not offend

unless you havd done dozens of live games, you dont need to buy it, you just need accept thats exactly how it is

After you have done 30, 40 live sky games, you can report back and see if its been sold to you,
Not quite 30 or 40 live games, but I DID work for ITV sport for over 35 years and we never asked the referee not to add time.

As someone said above, we used to plan for it.

For Cup games with extra time there were 3 schedules - 90' (plus estimated added time); Extra time and Extra time plus penalties.

Its live sport - comes with the territory - all live events can overrun, TV companies know that.

I don't buy it. TV won't care about 1 minute of added time where it is required. It's not like they can't plan for it.

What if there's a 5 min delay for an injury? We're only playing 2 lads, itv need the TV slot for emmerdale after

If there's something obvious, like an injury delay, then it won't get mentioned its what they see as "unnecessary" or unexpected added time that they grumble about, Ultimately the referee is in charge, but annoy the broadcasters and it will get fed back to the refereeing bosses.

If there's something obvious, like an injury delay, then it won't get mentioned its what they see as "unnecessary" or unexpected added time that they grumble about, Ultimately the referee is in charge, but annoy the broadcasters and it will get fed back to the refereeing bosses.
The most bizarre thing I've ever read

ref adding time on for a var review = bad feedback

If there's any truth to that then it's disgusting behaviour from every single person involved,especially the ref

meant to add, had the opppsite to Rusty, a game where we had a 4 min delay to the ko as tv was not ready
After a few mins of players accepting why they could not start, with them all out on the pitch, it was the crowd left wondering what was going on
coin toss done, players in position. waiting for the referee whistle, and, nothing

Yes, I've had that as well. Doesn't matter what time is on the referee's watch, he cannot kick off until the floor manager drops his arm to say good to go. For those that don't know, he's the bloke you see stood by the half way line on every televised game, usually with the 4th official, he and he alone tells the referee when he can blow the whistle.

I know of one referee that ignored him and got into all kinds of hot water as kick off occurred with the adverts still on.

The most bizarre thing I've ever read

ref adding time on for a var review = bad feedback

If there's any truth to that then it's disgusting behaviour from every single person involved,especially the ref

Don't get me wrong, if they added one minute for a VAR check I don't think that would get fed back, but if the same referee continually annoyed the broadcasters it would.

Remember at that level referees never stop their watches, they add on what they believe to be the expected added time, usually assisted by the 4th official keeping a stoppage log. That's why if the game is dead as in one side is getting hammered, the amount of added time will almost always be less than if it was level or one goal in it.

Don't get me wrong, if they added one minute for a VAR check I don't think that would get fed back, but if the same referee continually annoyed the broadcasters it would.

Remember at that level referees never stop their watches, they add on what they believe to be the expected added time, usually assisted by the 4th official keeping a stoppage log. That's why if the game is dead as in one side is getting hammered, the amount of added time will almost always be less than if it was level or one goal in it.

I've no issue with limiting added time if it's a dead game in the 2nd half. But in a live, close game, especially in the first half, the added time that it's required simply must be added on otherwise it puts one/both teams at a disadvantage to try and score.

I understand what you mean but I'm so vehemently (can you tell?) against any sort of broadcast interference I'd never be a part of it - no doubt that'll never be an issue for me anyway

I have officiated games that are back-to-back-to-back all day long, usually starting Friday night, all day Saturday, and on into Sunday.

Tournaments. 2-3 Friday, 5-6 on Sat, and 3-4 plus playoffs on Sun.

Games are an hour for 13-18 year olds.

No added time to halves except for major injuries.

It's known that the money making tournaments do this, so teams will launch game ball 'miles' knowing we can't add time. It's not delay of game under LOTG.

I delayed a game once because a team didnt have a roster at the start and the rule to delay was written by the tour host. I have learned to have a bunch of questions for the tournament's mgmt, not the ref mgmt (but they usually know the answers).

By now, nothing makes a game longer except an ambulance.

I understand what you mean but I'm so vehemently (can you tell?) against any sort of broadcast interference I'd never be a part of it - no doubt that'll never be an issue for me anyway

You say that, but you are only one promotion away from potentially getting a televised National League game, or an early stage FA Cup game., WSL game, etc. Well two promotions for the NL as you'd have to go from 3F to 3E, but still not a million miles away.

You say that, but you are only one promotion away from potentially getting a televised National League game, or an early stage FA Cup game., WSL game, etc. Well two promotions for the NL as you'd have to go from 3F to 3E, but still not a million miles away.

I know, but I doubt it...though a good assessment tomorrow and mid-season promotion might be on the cards

Back