A&H

Throw-ins

frank_ref

Just watched the Hull-City game and saw two occasions where a throw-in was taken at least twenty yards behind where the ball went out. I don't like that. Can't understand why it's tolerated at the top level. Certainly, not what I've been told to do, or enforce, or feel is correct.

A reminder of Law 15:

"At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower delivers the ball from the point where it left the field of play."

Some might think it's pedantic, but taking it from way behind where it's supposed to be is not only against Law but can give an unfair advantage.

The Referee Store
where on the field was it? as far as I can see there's not too much of a problem (of course it's a completely different story if it's twenty yards further forward).

Remember the old adage - if they don't want it, don't give it.

Problem for me is that it's against Law. Also, that it could and quite often does result in an advantage. One way is that the other team may have set themselves up for a throw coming in from where the ball went out. Another is that it may make it easier for the thrower to reach the goalkeeper, or another unmarked player, for a long punt upfield.

Anyways, Law's pretty clear - and I know we're all about that. ;)

I wonder how often a premier league player takes a throw from 10+ yards further up the pitch? Or how often they commit what a Sunday league player would call a foul throw?

I agree that it shouldn't happen, but if you're asking referees to clamp down on anything, surely it has to be dissent/OFFINABUS? If at the beginning of next season a Premier League representative went to every club and said that any swearing at the referee would result in a red card and the referees were told to implement this strictly then it would almost be eradicated in Sunday league football as well if the referees there followed suit too.

I say clamp down on everything. Just as easy to do offensive language and throw-ins as it is to do one or the other.

Back