A&H

Throw-in that never goes inside the pitch

dromi

Hi guys,

Just searching clarification in regards to this. Player does a throw-in down the line, and ball never enters.

Is this a re-take or the other team takes?

The Referee Store
Keep in mind that this is pretty rare. If the thrower is standing on the touchline, the ball will almost always enter play

I once messed this up as an AR when a throw in didn’t enter and an attacker played the ball before it could enter… weird and heart said it should be a throw the other way… I flagged as such wringly and got an earful!

I once had throw in which touched the ground before entering the FOP. Interestingly enough the laws cover that as a retake as well.

The more interesting question is, what is the retake for an incorrectly taken throw in if the ball never goes in or touches the ground before going in?

Hi guys,

Just searching clarification in regards to this. Player does a throw-in down the line, and ball never enters.

Is this a re-take or the other team takes?
As others have said, if this occurs it would be a retake, but it's rare. One thing to bear in mind in this scenario is that the whole of the ball does not have to cross the whole of the line for it to be in play.

If any part of the ball breaks the plane of the line, the ball is in play at that point. It's only if the entire ball remains entirely out of play for the entire time, that a retake is required.

What you see quite often is an attempted throw down the line that travels partly over the line but doesn't make it completely over the line and then swerves back out of play again.

That's not a retake, it's simply a throw to the other team to be taken from the point where the ball went out again.

interesting thank you every one for your replies... I am surprised is not used more often as time wasting technique then!

interesting thank you every one for your replies... I am surprised is not used more often as time wasting technique then!
I think it's because most referees are smart enough to read it. If the body language doesn't give away, the fact that it happens multiple times in a game by the same team does.

So when the balls goes inside the pitch, the ball is in play. (Even if it's just in the air without ever bouncing and going straight out)

Back