A&H

Open Age The talk with the captains

I never got the showing both sides of the coin.
Do they really think the referee is using a double sided coin?

Depends on what you're using.
If you're using a bog standard 50p piece or suchlike then I guess there's no point in doing that.
Some referees though use a special custom-made coin for the toss which to some players, it might not be obvious which symbol is heads and which is tails.
My coin is a large one with a different regimental symbol on each side. I'm always careful to show both captains which side I consider to be heads and which one is t'other. Avoids confusion. :)

The Referee Store
If you're using a bog standard 50p piece or suchlike then I guess there's no point in doing that.
Some referees though use a special custom-made coin for the toss which to some players, it might not be obvious which symbol is heads and which is tails.
My coin is a large one with a different regimental symbol on each side. I'm always careful to show both captains which side I consider to be heads and which one is t'other. Avoids confusion. :)

Bloody hell I can't take nice things out on to the pitch with me!
I'd lose that coin by half time!!

Do you still have your Latvian coin @SM ?

One of my favourite ever quotes on here was 'Fish or tails captain? :D'

Yes - love that coin.

I also have another one which is lighthouse or tails - that is also fun. :)

I'm thinking about using a rope for this weekend, strongest team in a tug of war picks sides :cool:

I know a referee who did have a double sided coin....

And on Boxing Day, the A- League had a match where it was decided with a Christmas cracker / bonbon!

Having a double sided coin for an unaware toss caller ( :D ) doesn't change the odds of being right - it's still 50-50 they will be correct. :D

Had a David Batty coin from an Esso collection from a long gone Euros competition, moved on to an Official Sports Coin with The FA on one side and Official Sports on the other before swapping this at a tournament in Madrid for a French Football Association coin which I lost sometime this season. I'm currently using a 2p coin as I'm not buying another just to get to the end of the season.

Get captains names either from team sheet or just ask them whilst in and address them both personally - whilst shaking hands.
"Right lads, today is about you guys. I'm going to let the game flow as much as I possibly can and will try and keep my cards in my pockets. I'll use you two as your figure heads of each team and will warn you if any of your players are getting close to a booking wherever possible. Any questions?"

Its an interesting point deusex. I personally feel however, that at Sunday league level - Yes you are there to implement the rules to the best of your ability but at the same time occasionally allow common sense to kick in. I'd much rather get through 90 minutes without using a card and man manage the game rather than have 3/4 yellow cards. I don't feel like its the "top bloke" approach but m more getting the captains onside from minute 1 can make the game much more enjoyable for all parties

I'd much rather get through 90 minutes without using a card and man manage the game rather than have 3/4 yellow cards

This is 100% down to the players. The difference between a zero caution match and four caution match should NEVER be the referee.
If it is the referee at zero cautions hasn't done his job. Don't care how good a man manager they claim to be

It will be the referee, because the referee's personality, tolerance and approach to players WILL influence the game.

But I'd prefer to walk off the field with 10 cautions that were well deserved than to duck cautions that should have been given :)

(I'm sure Brad wouldn't disagree)

I'd much rather get through 90 minutes without using a card and man manage the game rather than have 3/4 yellow cards

Ooooooof. Steady on there pal.

Don't confuse man management with reactive management.

In our case 'man management' (if you really wanted to call it that) is about being proactive in warning players BEFORE they commit an offence worthy of a caution.

For example you see a player who is clearly frustrated by something and chasing every single ball down aggressively, knowing if he makes a challenge it will be a foul and more than likely reckless.

Good proactive management (assuming he never got close enough to make the challenge/commit the foul) would be to get him and the skipper together at the next break in play, warn the skipper in front of him that he's clearly lost his head and to sort it out as you are watching him. That MAY stop him from making a stupid challenge and earning a card, but more importantly preventing an injury to another player.

'Man-management' as you describe it would be if he committed said reckless foul and you spoke to him, sympathised (perhaps you know why he is frustrated - his own poor performance?) and warned him you were watching him.

The second scenario is wrong. The player and the game needs to see a caution in that scenario to allow him to calm down or risk a red, and show everybody else that just because he is frustrated that behaviour is not acceptable.

Do you see the difference?

Back