A&H

The struggles of L7 refereeing

Good post Ben and totally agree.

However, its difficult for us as an individual referee to change a culture in isolation, which is where I suppose I was going with my words on 'managing dissent' as best we can within the (poor) culture you quite accurately describe.

I agree. Its impossible for us as individuals to do anything. I just find the inaction from those that can change things so frustrating.

The Referee Store
Maybe a change could start at a grassroots level? Hear a lot from referees talking about how the professional game needs to change first. The fact that the professional game is professional means that will never change.

What if....................a grassroots league makes a stance that referees must deal with dissent in the correct manner and deal with abuse in the correct manner, the same every match, every official. Those that do not keep up with the laws or who ignore abuse/dissent don't get to officiate in that league.

I know the response, that league will have little or no refs. But then again, if the message is clear and consistent, refs should be queueing up for games

Back