A&H

The struggles of L7 refereeing

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Saw this blog post shared by RefSupportUK: https://layo-91.medium.com/refereei...culture-makes-it-near-impossible-f3df547c433d

I can relate to a lot of his experience in that Sunday League game and on the decisions he gets grief for, he'd get the same grief from the other team if he goes the other way. Most weekends you cannot win and even though he acknowledges his mistakes and will learn from them I'm sure, we can't expect L7 refs to avoid these mistakes otherwise the abuse is "expected"

The Referee Store
I think his fear to show cards, sin bin and deal with the abuse makes things a lot harder for him in the long run.
Whilst I agree with, and have experienced, a lot of the things he talks about, I think we all have **** games but they are outnumbered by the good ones that he doesn't mention.
There are certain teams that I have reffed before that I know are going to give me earache but this is something that I'm aware of and will manage early using the tools available to me. I do think though that these teams and players are the exception, rather than the rule.

This said.. you probably wouldn't catch me on a YouTube league for the exact reasons he states in the early paragraphs - people will play up for drama which makes good YouTube viewing.

Great read - and valuable to any ref starting out.

Big picture, yes, totally agree.

However, with this individual match report, the writer has very clearly highlighted lack of authority and failure to handle low level dissent - in a way that suggests he might not ready (yet) for the level. Yes, it is the players’ fault but there are a lot of techniques/tools available to mitigate.

It was a good read in that it was highly emotive..you'll see from my ramblings. It also was not great to read as well. There were obviously some human mistakes we've all made but some ignorance of player behaviour does not read well at all.

There were some quite concerning behaviours allowed to breed throughout the match which lead to personal comments, some of which at the highest level of offensiveness, to be ignored, accepted even.

It would not be hard for the author to be identified and the relevant CFA ought to offer this referee some support and guidance. Conversely they could take action on his failure to apply law and report serious matters.

I think the referee is misguided in a few matters about game management and also the bar for dissent sin bins, notably taking aim at more senior/experienced refs whose line is the two C's. They do walk among us but they are few and far between and I'd bet 99ish percent of referees show red card, not a sin bin for such comments.

I do have some sympathy for the referee, he was not ready for the game, albeit at his level. These games can happen to all of us no matter the level and to be fair to this referee this level of self reflection will certainly serve him well in the future, as will they benefit from match day coaching as part of his promotion.

Finally, he raises such a valid point about player behaviour. It really does detract from the enjoyment of football, even for the players I bet. I think those at the pointy end of football really need to think about how the current situation is addressed or football will die.

Participation is declining everywhere. Not just referees, it's players, managers, coaches and even club committees and volunteers are disappearing. Without them football, as WE know it, will cease to exist.

Why is it declining. My opinion is the abuse and the behaviour of people within the game is turning away those that are likely to give up their time because, why would you?

I think we are getting past the point to campaigns and we perhaps need to look and find a way to radically change things for the future of football.

Thanks for posting. We can all relate. I know that feeling of just wanting the match to end. On a positive note, I’ve never heard that sort of language in any match, even the over 30 mens league. Most of the grief we get over here is from the coach or the parents. I can honestly say I wouldn’t last more than a couple of games before I walked away If I was spoken to like that all the time

A good read, but I do wonder if the writer realises he is pointing out his own flaws. Right at the start he says that he hasn't kept up to date with the law changes since 2011, of which there have been many, so he is setting himself up for a fall there. Doesn't matter how good a referee we are, we have to know the laws.

We all know the YouTube games can be problematic. They get big crowds, and the YouTube "stars", by definition of what they do, want to be the centre of attention. If nothing has happened in the game that does nothing for their viewing figures, so they are likely to manufacture something to cause some excitement.

For his next game, he says himself that he wasn't prepared, had drunk too much the night before and turned up so late he couldn't even do a warm up, that is going to affect a referee at any level. He then continually talks about how it is drilled into referees to ignore fouls, keep cards away, let heavy challenges go in the first ten minutes, and so on. My question would be who has drilled that in? He had said at the start that he didn't have to retake the course and only had to take the practical assessment, so it certainly wasn't a basic course that drilled it in. Whoever is doing the drilling is way off the mark. Saying that he then had to check his phone at half time for the laws about sin bins and attacking players in defensive walls also has alarm bells ringing, and correlates perfectly to his earlier comment that he didn't know the law changes since 2011, this was 100% self inflicted.

He has obviously experienced some very poor player and participant behaviour, but unfortunately he has contributed to some of this by his actions, or lack of actions. My final view is that he needs to forget what he has been told about game management, as whilst it might be OK for step 5 and above football it isn't going to work at grass roots. And to help with that he would probably benefit from a mentor.

A good read, but I do wonder if the writer realises he is pointing out his own flaws. Right at the start he says that he hasn't kept up to date with the law changes since 2011, of which there have been many, so he is setting himself up for a fall there. Doesn't matter how good a referee we are, we have to know the laws.

We all know the YouTube games can be problematic. They get big crowds, and the YouTube "stars", by definition of what they do, want to be the centre of attention. If nothing has happened in the game that does nothing for their viewing figures, so they are likely to manufacture something to cause some excitement.

For his next game, he says himself that he wasn't prepared, had drunk too much the night before and turned up so late he couldn't even do a warm up, that is going to affect a referee at any level. He then continually talks about how it is drilled into referees to ignore fouls, keep cards away, let heavy challenges go in the first ten minutes, and so on. My question would be who has drilled that in? He had said at the start that he didn't have to retake the course and only had to take the practical assessment, so it certainly wasn't a basic course that drilled it in. Whoever is doing the drilling is way off the mark. Saying that he then had to check his phone at half time for the laws about sin bins and attacking players in defensive walls also has alarm bells ringing, and correlates perfectly to his earlier comment that he didn't know the law changes since 2011, this was 100% self inflicted.

He has obviously experienced some very poor player and participant behaviour, but unfortunately he has contributed to some of this by his actions, or lack of actions. My final view is that he needs to forget what he has been told about game management, as whilst it might be OK for step 5 and above football it isn't going to work at grass roots. And to help with that he would probably benefit from a mentor.

Whilst all of what you say is true, it's completely secondary to the abuse that he recieved and obviously all of us recieve on a regular basis. As a group of referees, it is only natural that we look at ways in which he could've prevented some of the abuse, but the fact remains that the culture of abuse is the pertinent point here.

@JamesL I agree with your point regarding us being past the point of campaigns. But we aren't just a year or two past that point, we left that particular station many years ago. Theres a ridiculously large amount of football in the UK that goes ahead every weekend in an atmosphere of abuse, ridicule and just genera nastiness from many stakeholders. Let's be honest, the culture in our sport is often pretty grim and it's getting worse and that should be the focus.

The thing is that increasing levels of poor behaviour and abuse of authority figures is a widespread societal phenomenon and not just limited to referees in 2023. There is no doubt that the round ball game has a particular challenge with this kind of behaviour but it is not limited just to ‘our’ game. Referees should never be subject to abuse and there is no excuse, ever. However, increasing our skill level and resilience is something that we can personally control and is guaranteed to improve our experience and enjoyment of the game. I feel for this referee and have had more than my fair share of crap games to reflect upon. Without accepting blame for these kinds of incidents I have learned that the more I invest in my personal development, the better I get, the more respect I get and the more game control I tend to have. It is not a silver bullet obviously but it helps. As a reasonably new (5th year) referee I still have so much to learn but this self development pathway in conjunction with the benefits offered by excellent and (sometimes way too) honest mentors and peers makes a huge difference I reckon.

The thing is that increasing levels of poor behaviour and abuse of authority figures is a widespread societal phenomenon and not just limited to referees in 2023. There is no doubt that the round ball game has a particular challenge with this kind of behaviour but it is not limited just to ‘our’ game. Referees should never be subject to abuse and there is no excuse, ever. However, increasing our skill level and resilience is something that we can personally control and is guaranteed to improve our experience and enjoyment of the game. I feel for this referee and have had more than my fair share of crap games to reflect upon. Without accepting blame for these kinds of incidents I have learned that the more I invest in my personal development, the better I get, the more respect I get and the more game control I tend to have. It is not a silver bullet obviously but it helps. As a reasonably new (5th year) referee I still have so much to learn but this self development pathway in conjunction with the benefits offered by excellent and (sometimes way too) honest mentors and peers makes a huge difference I reckon.

Absolutely 100% agree with all of that. But I think the point of the article is that the culture exists. The idea that we need to have a few years of improvement in the bank before it lessens (not sure it does as you go up the ladder but hey ho) is exactly why the retention rates are dismal.

Anybody else read this and feel that, while relatable it feels if not a work of fiction, but a highly-dramatised version of the truth? Beefed up to sell the story to the reader?

I’m a cynic. I know this. But I believe in challenging things when I’m not sure, rather than taking at face value. This really does come across to me as overly embellished.

Whilst all of what you say is true, it's completely secondary to the abuse that he recieved and obviously all of us recieve on a regular basis. As a group of referees, it is only natural that we look at ways in which he could've prevented some of the abuse, but the fact remains that the culture of abuse is the pertinent point here.

@JamesL I agree with your point regarding us being past the point of campaigns. But we aren't just a year or two past that point, we left that particular station many years ago. Theres a ridiculously large amount of football in the UK that goes ahead every weekend in an atmosphere of abuse, ridicule and just genera nastiness from many stakeholders. Let's be honest, the culture in our sport is often pretty grim and it's getting worse and that should be the focus.
Completely agree that abuse is the key problem, but as an individual referee you cannot prevent or cure a global problem. But as an individual referee you can at least try to avoid getting into situations that lead to dissent and abuse. Some incidents are unavoidable, but this referee has openly admitted that he doesn't know the laws changed since 2011, drank too much the night before, turned up late, etc. He is setting himself up for problems.

At the end of the day we are paid to provide a service. Would you be happy if you hired a plumber or electrician and they told you they haven't checked on the regulation changes since 2011? I certainly wouldn't be.

Anybody else read this and feel that, while relatable it feels if not a work of fiction, but a highly-dramatised version of the truth? Beefed up to sell the story to the reader?

I’m a cynic. I know this. But I believe in challenging things when I’m not sure, rather than taking at face value. This really does come across to me as overly embellished.
Not to me personally, think it sounds quite relatable in terms of player behaviour (particularly in the area in which he referees, which I’ve dabbled in)

Maybe a bit but honestly I’ve had games almost identical to this in London Sunday leagues where this guy referees.

The thing that stands out the most to me is this “what the game expects” attitude I see parroted a lot. We treat the laws as a bible until we decide we have to pander to players expectations (when they don’t know the laws) just so we escape dissent or even abuse.

What worries me is the automatic assumption, both in the blog and in subsequent comments here, that insulting terms like "d*v" are examples of Dissent. No no no!! This is Offensive, Insulting and Abusive and is red card territory. And if anyone said the term "Nazi c*nt" in my game I would red card in a flash, or if I could not identify the speaker I would abandon.

What worries me is the automatic assumption, both in the blog and in subsequent comments here, that insulting terms like "d*v" are examples of Dissent. No no no!! This is Offensive, Insulting and Abusive and is red card territory. And if anyone said the term "Nazi c*nt" in my game I would red card in a flash, or if I could not identify the speaker I would abandon.
I had an u15 call me a c**t today... 2 mins 30 secs on the clock.
Bye.
No one said a complaint to me the rest of the game.

Think you would have to follow the discrimination protocol before jumping straight to abandon..
Also remember that if it is from a technical area where you can't identify the perpetrator you can dismiss the most senior occupant instead

Completely agree that abuse is the key problem, but as an individual referee you cannot prevent or cure a global problem. But as an individual referee you can at least try to avoid getting into situations that lead to dissent and abuse. Some incidents are unavoidable, but this referee has openly admitted that he doesn't know the laws changed since 2011, drank too much the night before, turned up late, etc. He is setting himself up for problems.

At the end of the day we are paid to provide a service. Would you be happy if you hired a plumber or electrician and they told you they haven't checked on the regulation changes since 2011? I certainly wouldn't be.
"avoid getting into situations that lead to dissent and abuse"

That's they key 'development' point there surely.

Managing a game, and I know some of you dislike that expression, is more than just brandishing cards.

Dissent for me is also about managing our own expectations. If people are going to start moaning about a pretty obvious offside or an insignificant throw in decision 5 minutes in, then I'm having a say and letting everyone know my expectations.

However an 85th minute penalty appeal in a close match is going to elicit a 'response' whatever decision you give.

Managing those 2 examples of dissent are surely going to be different. Which is why on line discussions, even on here, around what words/actions are 'acceptable' in isolation are a bit misleading and maybe not relevant to a real life game situation.

Maybe a bit but honestly I’ve had games almost identical to this in London Sunday leagues where this guy referees.

The thing that stands out the most to me is this “what the game expects” attitude I see parroted a lot. We treat the laws as a bible until we decide we have to pander to players expectations (when they don’t know the laws) just so we escape dissent or even abuse.

Correct. I've read plenty on this thread about what we can do to attempt to minimise abuse towards us and its sound enough advice, but it completely misses the point and shifts the focus away from the abuse itself.

The issue is a cultural one. A complete lack of respect towards the position of the referee. A complete lack of acceptance of referees mistakes, even at the bottom level where the standard of play is often so poor that mistakes from players will outnumber those from the referee 10 fold throughout the game. But that's accepted. Ref makes a mistake and it isn't. I've had abuse multiple times on Sunday League games this season from players who quite frankly are rubbish! Every football show on tv seems to focus on referees. Social media too. Fans sing songs about referees. We all sit and watch refs get terrible abuse from players and managers on our TV screens every week and nothing is ever done apart from a very occasional card. So yes, there are things refs can do to prevent abuse but that is secondary to the abuse and the culture of abuse itself.

The decline in referee numbers and increase in incidents of abuse both mental and physical towards referees should be the catalyst to do something about it from top to bottom. Weve even got refs out there now wearing body cameras for their own safety ffs!

Personally I doesn't bother me. I'm big enough and ugly enough to look after myself and sort dissent out where required but I'm sick of seeing referees abused. The pitch next to me today were genuinely disgusting towards the referee, and he is a ref a know well and operates several tiers higher than those players who are playing in one of the lowest levels of football in the UK (Sunday League Div 5). There needs to be a culture change and it needs to be driven from top to bottom

Correct. I've read plenty on this thread about what we can do to attempt to minimise abuse towards us and its sound enough advice, but it completely misses the point and shifts the focus away from the abuse itself.

The issue is a cultural one. A complete lack of respect towards the position of the referee. A complete lack of acceptance of referees mistakes, even at the bottom level where the standard of play is often so poor that mistakes from players will outnumber those from the referee 10 fold throughout the game. But that's accepted. Ref makes a mistake and it isn't. I've had abuse multiple times on Sunday League games this season from players who quite frankly are rubbish! Every football show on tv seems to focus on referees. Social media too. Fans sing songs about referees. We all sit and watch refs get terrible abuse from players and managers on our TV screens every week and nothing is ever done apart from a very occasional card. So yes, there are things refs can do to prevent abuse but that is secondary to the abuse and the culture of abuse itself.

The decline in referee numbers and increase in incidents of abuse both mental and physical towards referees should be the catalyst to do something about it from top to bottom. Weve even got refs out there now wearing body cameras for their own safety ffs!

Personally I doesn't bother me. I'm big enough and ugly enough to look after myself and sort dissent out where required but I'm sick of seeing referees abused. The pitch next to me today were genuinely disgusting towards the referee, and he is a ref a know well and operates several tiers higher than those players who are playing in one of the lowest levels of football in the UK (Sunday League Div 5). There needs to be a culture change and it needs to be driven from top to bottom
Good post Ben and totally agree.

However, its difficult for us as an individual referee to change a culture in isolation, which is where I suppose I was going with my words on 'managing dissent' as best we can within the (poor) culture you quite accurately describe.

Back