A&H

The smallest things can be very revealing

SLI39

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but does the following statement not betray an attitude about referees which is all too prevalent at every level of the game? It concerns a youth tournament at which I am refereeing tomorrow (last appointment of the season), although I am not sure whether these are the words of the club chairman or the referees' secretary:
"Remember that the kids are there to enjoy themselves so referee with empathy for the players and perhaps don't be too strict but do be fair."
I really fail to understand how that can be helpful for qualified referees; maybe I was in a bad mood when I first read it, but it sounds patronising. Frankly, it draws to attention the immense problems we might face if clubs catch on to the 'spirit of the game' amendments to the 2016/17 laws.
Behind the veneer of politeness, this kind of comment betrays an assumption that referees are pedantic types whose perceived contribution to a game can only be to spoil enjoyment; that we are necessary evils without whom the game could probably cope if history hadn't insisted on such structures in the first place. As a profession, we can sometimes be taken for granted as much as vets are.
Despite all that, I attended a presentation this morning in which the very same club spoke highly of standards and refereeing in general, so I am torn, to be honest.

The Referee Store
Empathy is the key isn't it?
No one wants to see an offside goal stand, a foul not punished or a player injured.
But...
Are there occasions in low level youth football when there are mistimed tackles that you might normally either whistle or signal advantage, that you can let go because the play is flowing and passes are happening? I think, yes
Are there games in youth football where most of the players just cannot take a legal throw so you allow them to get on with it and talk to the coaches at half time or similar? I think there are.

Consistency is still the real key...

Empathy is the key isn't it?
No one wants to see an offside goal stand, a foul not punished or a player injured.
But...
Are there occasions in low level youth football when there are mistimed tackles that you might normally either whistle or signal advantage, that you can let go because the play is flowing and passes are happening? I think, yes
Are there games in youth football where most of the players just cannot take a legal throw so you allow them to get on with it and talk to the coaches at half time or similar? I think there are.

Consistency is still the real key...

To an extent, I would agree that this is a good rule of thumb for youth football. And if a referee doesn't have empathy, it makes his or her role more or less untenable. However, the problem lies in actually acknowledging that in the open. What does that do for referees and the laws they uphold in the long run, not to mention for those children growing up? It's a fiction that we can be fair and keep both sides happy in tense games, so I found interesting the 'juxtaposition' of enjoyment against referees. At higher levels, players are encouraged to attack referees as job's worths. At worst, we arrive at situations where the laws can be watered down ad infinitum. I am thinking about repercussions, and it's clear to me, considering other sports, that embracing the rigour and seriousness of the laws is tied up with respect. That's how we truly earn it.

Last edited:
I have just done a weekend two day tournament with U9,U10,U11 players and some teams were from Scotland. I have done this tournament before and the organisers advised to be slightly lax on the laws but be firm and fair as this was 5-a-side there were no offsides and all free kicks direct,no back pass allowed( i had one back pass in 14 games) Also we were informed that the Scottish players were not used to the " throw-in" so it was a first for them. When i was approached by the Scottish managers about their players not used to the throw in i simply said " As long as they are standing still and are not on the pitch there would not be a problem, and i had but just a few throw on, than throw in.So at those age groups they are on a learning curve, I did notice that when the English players took their throws the Scottish players soon learnt how to take them so that problem soon wasn't a problem.
I'm sure we are all aware the most problatic problem of these tournament is the dreaded "parent" :confused::mad::confused:
I was watching one game and this U9 player missed a penalty and just stood there crying, and mummy dear shouted " Never mind darling perhaps you can have another go" "REF! can he take it again?"

do your job, but.. dont do your job... in this case if the agreement is universal and the coaches are aware that you will be officiating with the underlying fun element to the fore, then i think thats actually ok. that gives you licence to educate the kids about foul throws, ball going forward at KO, back passes etc, but also anything from the players/coaches side of things where they step outside the "fun" zone, i.e dissent, or anything cautionable or worse for that matter, to punish, again not necessarily full force punishments but in an educational way for players ?
but yes, the statement does read badly in the attitude department, like i said slightly faceatiously (spelling ?!!) do your job, but... dont do your job.
its like," we are aware of all the laws and how they should be applied and we really need you to be there to do it, but we'd like you to do it on our terms." and you might get the feeling that is the case through all the leagues, just that these guys have had the balls to put it in black and white

Hmm the coach stepping out of the fun zone. I had that the other day. It was U12 girls with rolling subs. If the ball is dead I am not going to nit pick about the outgoing player being off the pitch at U12 level. But in the second half the coach had that cheeky look and was trying to gain an advantage by sending on subs early. I had a laugh with him and the parents about it and he stopped. I think part of our job is to try to help football be fun. Sometimes that is not possible. And that doesn't mean we shouldn't follow the laws...

Back