A&H

The Referee - Suarez Incident Liverpool vs Sunderland

Saturday night watching Match of the Day. I sent a simple tweet during the Liverpool vs. Sunderland highlights. All it said was "Correct decision for Richardson yellow". Little did I know it would be retweeted by @jacquioatley. The rest of the night was then spent along with @slimref explaining the following incident and why it was only a yellow card.

szólj hozzá: Liverpool v Sunderland, Pen
Disclaimer The following explanation is based on the guidelines we are given. Its an interpretation and an explanation of the thought process that the Referee has to go through. Its not Phil Dowds or the FA explanation.
The below are taken from the Interpretation of the Laws of the Game from Fifa.Com

Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether
to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity:
• the distance between the offence and the goal
• the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
• the direction of the play
• the location and number of defenders
• the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity
may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick
Now the distance from goal is quite clear here. Its not like he is 40 yards from goal, so it gives it a high possibility of goal. There is only the keeper and the defender. No one else is going to get back to cover. So if you take those two factors then you could say red. However the key things here are control and the direction of play. Look at the photo below and consider those two points.
suarez2.png

Suarez has taken the ball past the keeper and is now moving away from goal. He has knocked the ball past the keeper and currently doesn't have control. So now you have to consider, IF he does get to that ball is it Obvious that in that one touch he will score. If he has to take a couple of touch to put it in the back of the net then its not an Obvious goal scoring opportunity at this point.
If you look at this picture while he has been fouled at this point you can see the direction the ball was heading. Its now wide of the post and a tighter angle.
Suarez.png

In my opinion the fact that he is moving away from goal and he doesnt ahve full control of the ball says to me its a yellow card.
Somebody did ask me on twitter. Does that mean that any time a player is going wide does it mean its not red. If it was only that easy. Unfortunately these situations like many in the game are not black and white and are open to the interpretation set out in the laws of the game. All the Referee can do is use those points that are in the interpretation to asses the situation and make their decision.

The Referee Store
Back