A&H

the new offside rule

SM

The avuncular one
or more specifically the definition changes within the offside rule.

the query i have is around "interferring with an opponent"- preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the oppnents line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball.

interested in other peoples definition of challenging. i would say challenging includes moving towards the opponent and clearly causing the opponent to have to clear the ball or be tackled. However, I have been told that this does not constitute a challenge until the tackle is made?

Real game incident; attacker is in offside position. Ball is flicked through off target and a defender controls it. The attacker quickly runs back towards the defender who boots the ball off the park before the tackle comes in. Without the offside player, the defender has a lot of time. I would say offside here.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Another vote for offside.

For me, challenge is open to interpretation. I would say closing the ball down, applying pressure etc, for the purposes of an offside call is a challenge for the ball.

I certainly know it's much easier to "sell" a flag in the scenario you mention, rather than a non-decision.

To me challenging means entering into a challenge for the ball (so tackling or going shoulder-to-shoulder or even probably jockeying) but just making a movement towards the opponent isn't enough for me.

Back