A&H

The Match Official Blog - Bearsted v Seven Acre & Sidcup

When I got this fixture I was very chuffed and excited. My 1st game in the Kent Invicta League is a premier league game - wow!!

The week building up to game I was trying to fit in as many ways to keep fit as possible. I've done a few 12min sprints ready for the fitness test I plan on taking next summer. Not quite hit the 2.5k, the closest I got was 30metres short. I have no doubt I will be able to do it with no problems by the summer.

On Tuesday I went back to British Military Fitness after having about a month off due to work commitments and the Olympics. I throw myself into the deep end and do a double session of circuits, well that was very hard. Unfortunately picked a few sore back and the inside of my left leg was hurting for a few days after. I put some deep heat on it and heat pad and hoped for the best.
Unfortunately the new KCFA referee badges are not ready yet so last night had to get mum to put the old KCFA badge on my new Umbro diamond kit.

This morning I woke up excited, today is the day I have been waiting for. My 1st game in the Kent Invicta league. I knew my kit bag was all ready as I do that after every game. I get my FA referee shirt out and it creased - oh well glad I got that ready early plenty of time to iron it, I got the iron out and did the job. I hung it up ready to wear & made sure my suit was looking ok and just relaxed at home. I was starting to feel a bit nervous as it was a whole new league and experience for me .

My 11 month old niece turned up so I got the chance to act like a kid for a while to take my mind off the game. At midday I start to get ready & my brother seemed shocked about the suit I had to wear. I explained that I'm in a new league and he said I looked very smart.

I'm off in my car, I knew where I was going as I had been there only a month before to referee Bearsted v Maidstone. I would have liked Mr. TOM TOM just as re-assurance but left that at home. DOH.

I get to the ground at 1pm for 3pm KO. Mega early.

The 1st half was ok. I kept up with play ok. Could always improve. Those 12min sprints I have been doing have helped. There was one decision I gave it was a thrown in. Went to give it to defending team then very quickly changed my mind and the referee over ruled me. The crowd gave me some stick and this was only 5min into the game. I thought please don't let this be the start of a horrible game.

Right at the end of the 1st half the ball was played forward. If I'm honest I was more side on to the pitch and not facing it. The ball was clearly going out of play. The striker was in an offside position and really had no chance of getting it. I didn't flag at 1st, I didn't see him, stupidly until late also he was not interfering with play & the defending team got the throw anyway. They along with the crowd were going mad about the offside.

At half time I stopped my run keeper app and this time I had run 1.13 miles. I got a lot of helpful hints at half time from both the ref and asst ref who were level 5 refs. Both used to be 4's but had to stop due to work commitments. The main point being to wait wait and wait some more, whether it be a foul, throw in or off side. The ref also mentioned about the last minute off side shout. He said I need to face the pitch more and do the "crab" walk/run.

The 2nd half started & went ok. Again I kept up with play ok, but could always improve on fitness. I felt the advice helped as I saw an off side and waited and waited and the ball didn't go to him so I didn't flag.
The 2nd half had no real talking points from my point of view.

At full time we had a good de-brief about the game, the ref said I had a lot better second half and took his points on board.

Overall I did enjoy it & I learnt a lot from this game:
1. Make sure I do the crab walk/run as much as possible
2. Wait wait wait and wait some more before flag - a late flag which is correct is better than a incorrect flag which is early
3. The sprints and runs have helped but still need to improve on fitness

There are no photos as it was at the same ground as only a few weeks ago!
3826774057252439822-4667891062063604188

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back