A&H

The final whistle?

Let's be clear here BC I am advocating resuming play or variation of.

I was disagreeing with the notion that the laws require a game to be extended for the taking of a PK so therefore this must apply to FKs as well.

The problem I foresee with your 10-20 seconds is that is plenty long enough for someone who remains aggrieved to exact revenge and cue more mass brawling.

If there's a fight or chance of a fight, and time is all but done, we're going home with less paperwork in my world.

I would however be blowing for the FK to be taken, immediately followed by the FT whistle so that no more play actually occurs. And obvs all misconduct will be dealy with accordingly. 👍
Yeh OK, we're agreed the game definitely doesn't end before the FK is taken. Not even professors of psychology can hypothesize why the few added seconds makes everyone 'best of friends' again, but footballers don't conform to 'expected behaviour' inside the FOP

The Referee Store
I think this falls into the same category of how blowing full time after a goal is stored without allowing a replay is ill advised, especially if it is a game changing goal. I don't think ending a game on a foul with a couple of players arguing, even if only handbags, is a very good idea. Give the foul and allow play to restart for 10 to 20 seconds and chances are they have calmed down.

Petty yet predictable squabbles over a peep aside, if anyone on here does this, can they explain?

ten secs to go, 3-0, ball booted to Narnia for a goal kick...

yet instead of simply blowing for time, some refs wait 30 sec for gk to go retrieve ball, place it, move it to other side, point arms to where they plan to kick it...then soon as ball is kicked, they blow! Is there a point/anything to be gained?
In days gone by, the match ball had to be returned to the referee at the full time whistle so a goal kick or free kick then the full time whistle was the norm, as the referee would aim to be in the dropping zone. Although long gone, football takes time to change, e. g. obstruction and linesman still being (mis-)used, so now the referee can decide a safe point to blow the final whistle, with the ball in a neutral location whenever possible.

In days gone by, the match ball had to be returned to the referee at the full time whistle so a goal kick or free kick then the full time whistle was the norm, as the referee would aim to be in the dropping zone. Although long gone, football takes time to change, e. g. obstruction and linesman still being (mis-)used, so now the referee can decide a safe point to blow the final whistle, with the ball in a neutral location whenever possible.

my subsequent post said that yes

Nothing to be gained at all.

It happens because some referees are operating under the misapprehension that the ball has to be in play before the final whistle is blown. :)

I’ve done this more than once (wait for someone to traipse over and get the ball) - managers love it.

I remember when I’d just started on my Sunday league, a few games in, and I was ref-ing a team new to me. Ball was hoofed into the long grass on the far side of the pitch. Manager (who I was fairly near) said ”that must be time ref”

“Yes” I replied, “but will just wait whilst he gets the ball” as we watched a player troop of into the undergrowth to collect the £50 match ball. He return, takes the throw in, I blow. “Nice one ref” says the manager, and my credibility with him was assured for the rest of the season.

Just explain what your doing to those around you, and everyone’s happy (as they know they ’aint going to be sent to collect the ball by their gaffer)

Interesting thread… I’ve only been reffing a few months and agree. Ref the free kick, apply the sanction and let the free kick be taken and that phase of play conclude.

in my course they kept saying as a ref you shouldn’t “think like a player”, but I actually think considering how your decisions antagonise a player or situation is a useful perspective to keep in mind. Yes LOTG LOTG LOTG, but when you’re trying to “settle a situation” or “keep the peace” or even bring the game to a close drama-free, remember there are 22 humans on the pitch, they aren’t robots.

Back