A&H

The FA Refereeing Strategy 2023-26 and Participant Charter

CaptainsPlease

Level 6 Referee
Link

Some acknowledgement that the professional game is causing problems but extremely vague on how they will 'challenge' and what they will do when that doesn't work.

Also a very unambitious target on the match official satisfaction scores, only wanting to go from 66% to 70% in the next three years!

The Referee Store
Really disappointed to see an inclusion strategy completely fail to mention disability. Especially since it regularly makes the top 2/3 of the Kick it Out reports and we had a high profile referee suspended for ableist jokes.

Interesting to see that they want to take it from 7 to 3 years to move from Grassroots to National League Premier (Step 1) - which I believe to be 2b? I can't see that happening for a little while
well havent they pretty much done that with 2 promotion windows? in theory people can spend half a season per level

recipe for disaster in most instances but doable in 3 years

Paying half the fee (ref course) for some and not others is effectively discrimination in itself

Reactions: Kes
Interesting to see that they want to take it from 7 to 3 years to move from Grassroots to National League Premier (Step 1) - which I believe to be 2b? I can't see that happening for a little while
National League Premier is 2A. North and South Divisions use 2B's.
Grassroots includes Level 5 referees, so 3 observed promotions in 3 seasons is already technically possible.

EDIT - Nevermind. I found you've all discussed at this link - https://refchat.co.uk/threads/instructions-to-match-officials-for-the-2023-24-season.21903/

As opposed to starting a new thread, I figured this wouid fit in this thread.

How serious do those of you in England actually think the FA and related organizations will truly be about this? I hope they are serious, because the games needs it. I'm wondering if it will be a similar situation to our collegiate games in the United States where the governing organizations for college soccer have "technical area conduct" as a point of emphasis every year but then fail to truly back up officials who actually enforce it?

(To be completely fair to my friends across the pond, I would have the same "I'll believe it when I see if" attitude if the United States Soccer Federation (our FA), MLS, and PRO (our PGMOL) came out with the exact same type of edict. This isn't about England - it's about the general environment of the game around the world.)

Last edited:
Footballing authorities have an impressive knack at throwing empty words, meaningless programmes and pointless slogans out there to try and tackle abuse, without ever taking a top down approach. From what I've been reading, this season could be one to change that, as with every year, you can only hope

I have no faith at all that the new 'Participant Charter' will be robustly enforced in the professional game for any significant length of time, but would be very happy to be proven wrong.
Quite. The ‘Respect’ campaign worked so very well at the top of the pyramid. 👀

I have no faith at all that the new 'Participant Charter' will be robustly enforced in the professional game for any significant length of time, but would be very happy to be proven wrong.
Even at grassroots level I'm skeptical of it's potential to actually change anything.
The trouble being, that for it to truly effect meaningful change, it requires discernible buy-in and action from all participants. Who actually really gives a monkeys about it all aside from match officials? :rolleyes:
The whole of football culture needs to change, globally as someone has already pointed out. "Participant behaviour" is just one facet of it ...

Back on this, at grassroots and the lower end of the NLS, is the 3 players surrounding the ref rule being enforced here?

Back