A&H

The depressing stats of referees in the UK-[Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Becoming a referee:
Depending on your County FA either you can have theories sessions on one weekday and the weekday for a combined time of 20 hours of learning. Or one and a half weekends also for a combine time of 20 hours of learning. Which involves theory and technical practice. Thus being followed by the theory test consisting of 40 multiple choice questions being asked on the Laws of the game requiring 90% minimum to pass. With a maximum of 3 tries allowed before having to redo the course.

Being a referee:
After completing the 5 games of being a trainee referee congratulations you are now are qualified referee of varying levels based on your age (Y1 = 14, Y2 = 15, Lvl 7 = 16+). If you are Y1 enjoy trudging through 2 years of juniour football learning and prefecting your craft. Or if you're Y1 enjoy slogging through 1 year of juniour football learning your craft. And if you're a Lvl 7 you have a choice be pressured by appointment manager to go straight into open age due to the severe lack of referees or spend x number of years doing junior football learning and prefecting your craft. However during your next two years of refereeing if you last longer than that you are in the top 75 precentile of referees. Don't worry you will only experience abuse from players, spectators and fans. With 93.8% of referees saying they experience abuse.

Post referee:
Getting to this stage you either quit due to abuse being driven to your breaking point. Retire due to old age. Or no longer have the time refereeing. But don't worry I am sure there might be a chance someone will replace you.
I'm not sure what your point is

FWIW, I'm approaching 300 games or so. Guessing I've only experienced what I would term as 'abusive behaviour' on less than a handful of occasions. I don't class intense pressure for decisions as abuse. I don't class dissenting behaviour as abuse (nor does the LOTG)

Some of us (albeit, a peculiar minority), have relished the challenge you otherwise describe above

Last edited:
I'm with Big Cat, what is the point of the post.
TBF, you could change the word referee to many many other jobs/hobbies and potentially get a similar outcome.
There is a problem with referee abuse. But there is also a problem with abuse of paramedics, police, traffic wardens, customer service staff, I could probably go on.
I also think that some referees are more likely to be abused than others for a myriad of reasons (gender, sexuality, appearance, skill and more) and again this can be attributed to many other occupations.
We have a societal problem, unfortunately, some referees only look upon this from their black shirt and white trim black socks point of view, but these issues are way beyond football, they just manifest in football as that's where we are involved.

Sure I expect we've all come off games wondering why we bother, but for the majority of time for me at least it's either enjoyable or fulfilling and sometimes even both! Even when / especially when it's tough, it gives a feeling of being alive and involved I just don't get spectating, I'd rather still be playing at the level I now referee, but unfortunately that's not an option.

And while I'm at it, the contrast with rugby refereeing is not always what it's called out to be. I have a mate who has done both at a decent level. Two things he said stuck in my mind :

1. As a rugby referee, lots of times players call me sir, when it's obvious they really mean c**t. Whilst I don't want anyone calling me that, sometimes something more honest and direct is easier to deal with

2. Whilst no-one likes diving, there is infinitely more deliberate cheating in rugby. It's just they call it ****housery and laugh about it in the bar afterwards (Neil Back anyone ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back