A&H

The CFA circus is back in town

Phonesurgeon

Cook, Cleaner and Bottle Washer
Level 7 Referee
First game of the 20/21 Sunday league.
66th minute home team concede a penalty, one of home team players mutters something in a foreign language, giving me same gesture as Someone in Atletico Madrid Vs Juventus in champions League last season.
Red card, after seeing card, he spits at me! In times of C19, he bloody spits at me.
Report sent to CFA, very detailed with facts instead of opinion.
Searched the suspension database, the spitter only got 2 match ban!
From a CFA, that announced 0 tolerance on ref abuse! Then they wonder why there is a chronic referee shortage up north

The Referee Store
That's disgusting, but there hasn't possibly been enough time to deal with an assault on a match official charge with spitting would be classed as. I suspect they have just automatically processed the red card and the misconduct will be dealt with separately.

How did you submit, was it an extraordinary incident on WGS?

There is absolutely zero chance of the misconduct charge having been dealt with yet - the two match suspension you can see will be the automatic two matches for his OFFINABUS dismissal.

Report made on WGS, the match was played 13/09, also forgot to mention a police report has been made, they looking at, possibly, C19 aggravated assault!
Anyway, after this fiasco, Sunday league could burn in hell for all I care, I'll claim back my sundays

For a charge of this seriousness, the player would be placed under interim suspension from the time the charge is raised until the case is heard. Even if the charge was raised the following Monday (which would be unlikely as generally the CFA will seek to get additional evidence if possible, and observations from the player/club in question), then the player would have seven days to respond to the charge (i.e. today). Given the current situation I know several CFAs have had to make staff redundant, so those still working will likely have increased workloads, so there is every chance that processing any misconduct charges and setting up disciplinary commissions to hear cases may be delayed more than normal.

Assuming the spitting was reported on a separate report I’m sure this will be just for the red card. My county will automatically suspend a player immediately on receiving a report like this, but as he’s suspended for the abuse that takes him out of the game while they deal with the more serious charge.
If there’s a police report then I think they also have to wait for that to be dealt with. If the police find him guilty that supports the FA’s case, even if he gets a suspended sentence.
As Alex says, the CFAs are struggling at the moment, so these things take longer at the moment. I’m still waiting for a commission for a dismissal from 9 months ago. The player was on a suspended sine die from a year before for spitting at a colleague- it was suspended because the referee’s report was ambiguous. I sent him for abuse and he threatened me. He also got two games for the red and sine die for threatening a match official. He’s appealing the sine die and while we’re waiting for the commission he’s still playing. I refereed him again yesterday for the 7th time since sending him off.

Assuming the spitting was reported on a separate report I’m sure this will be just for the red card. My county will automatically suspend a player immediately on receiving a report like this, but as he’s suspended for the abuse that takes him out of the game while they deal with the more serious charge.
If there’s a police report then I think they also have to wait for that to be dealt with. If the police find him guilty that supports the FA’s case, even if he gets a suspended sentence.
As Alex says, the CFAs are struggling at the moment, so these things take longer at the moment. I’m still waiting for a commission for a dismissal from 9 months ago. The player was on a suspended sine die from a year before for spitting at a colleague- it was suspended because the referee’s report was ambiguous. I sent him for abuse and he threatened me. He also got two games for the red and sine die for threatening a match official. He’s appealing the sine die and while we’re waiting for the commission he’s still playing. I refereed him again yesterday for the 7th time since sending him off.
This is all quite normal for your neck of the woods and is doubtless burdensome for your CFA in this time of national crisis 🤔

I’m afraid it is. They have to make sure the player deserves the punishment because if they ban him before the case is proved he will appeal that as well and the CFA could be in trouble if he subsequently gets off. At the moment this is taking much longer than usual but they will get to him.
In my case he’s saying he didn’t threaten me. A county official and a league official both heard him and have given statements to that effect, so he won’t get off, but until it’s proven he can play. The team he played for folded at the end of last season- mainly my fault!
If he gets me out of the game then he wins. I won’t let him win.

Back