A&H

Technique when Issuing a (hypothetical) highly charged red card

mike_newref

I've been reading this forum for weeks and there is lots of really useful information but I want to ask how a certain scenario might be dealt with.

The match is between two very physical teams and is a title decider, both sets of players going hammer and tongue but both getting very close to the line and one or two "tasty" tackles have already gone in and been dealt with appropriately. Then a real bone cruncher goes in, players are in each other's faces, the offending player is having to be held back from opposition players (but no additional need for cards other than the red). What is the process you would use for explaining the decision to send him/her off?

What I am getting at is how to get a player's name, explain to him/her why they have been sent off and then actually send them off, all whilst not increasing the temperature of the situation, especially if he/she disagrees?

The Referee Store
isolate the player in a neutral area of the field, ask his name, tell him they're being dismissed, show the red card.

dont over complicate it, take your time, be calm and assertive.

dont worry about a reaction from their teammates, it's natural they wont agree with you sending off their teammate, just deal with it as you would any other red card.

dont forget, if the situation warrants, a 'flash red' is perfectly acceptable in an attempt to diffuse a reaction from the offended player/team

isolate the player in a neutral area of the field, ask his name, tell him they're being dismissed, show the red card.

dont over complicate it, take your time, be calm and assertive.

dont worry about a reaction from their teammates, it's natural they wont agree with you sending off their teammate, just deal with it as you would any other red card.

dont forget, if the situation warrants, a 'flash red' is perfectly acceptable in an attempt to diffuse a reaction from the offended player/team

I'm glad you mentioned flash red, how would you go about collecting the players details after a flash red? Simply ask them after the game or their manager?

I'm glad you mentioned flash red, how would you go about collecting the players details after a flash red? Simply ask them after the game or their manager?

ask the manager or secretary, the player probably wont be too amenable to it! i've had a few in the past, the club has always confirmed post match. in any case, assuming you have teamsheets, take the number and if no name is provided put the corresponding name through.

Trainer on for injured player
Handbags die down
Isolate offender
Send others away
Ask to confirm name
“Serious Foul Play” (or whatever)
Show red card

Relax and don’t over complicate it. Deep breath. You don’t have to explain that “well from where i was it looked like it was high and under law 13 paragraph six sentence four that means that endangering a players safety and I’m awfully sorry and don’t use up all the hot water...” or any other waffle. Name, you’re being sent off, card, prepare for fall out.

I know through experience that any player's appeal will likely be upheld, if the name is not taken at the time of the dismissal or there is any doubt whatsoever regarding identity. At County Level, flashing of red cards is not the expected procedure

Easy answer is try not to use the flash red unless you've got team sheets!

Handbags die down
Isolate offender
Send others away
Ask to confirm name
Show red card

Relax and don’t over complicate it. Deep breath. You don’t have to explain that “well from where i was it looked like it was high and under law 13 paragraph six sentence four that means that endangering a players safety and I’m awfully sorry and don’t use up all the hot water...” or any other waffle. Name, you’re being sent off, card, prepare for fall out.
Handbags die down
Isolate offender
Send others away
Ask to confirm name
Show red card

I think there are a few steps missing from the front. Depending on how the players are squaring up, when you blow for the offence, you should sprint in. Main point though is to not put yourself in danger or in the path of a left hook.

If the players need to be separated, use the whistle. Loud blasts close to stun them. Then trainer etc etc

Back