A&H

Team sheet query

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
Hi all,
I've got a couple of county cup games on Sunday and we will get teamsheets before ko.
I was just wondering how long before ko should I ask for teamsheets?
I have done county cup games before but that was about 3 or 4 seasons ago

The Referee Store
Should be half an hour but it depends on when the players turn up. Don't get too hung up about it, but do not start the game until you have written down all the players and subs.

Should be half an hour but it depends on when the players turn up. Don't get too hung up about it, but do not start the game until you have written down all the players and subs.
Yes agreed at least half an hour.. before k.o..so if a player arrives late at least they are named on the team sheet and you have everything in your book.. enjoy your matches..

Depends entirely on the county cup rules. Different counties will have different rules than others, and indeed CFAs may well have different rules for each of their competitions.

Reactions: JH
Teamsheets are usually the first thing I ask for when meeting and greeting on arrival, this way any issues can be sorted out and if they aren't ready the clubs tend to speed up in getting them ready. I don't think I've had a game where there hasn't been at least one issue with one of the clubs teamsheets such as missing numbers etc.

I've also never had a league or cup which stated how long before kick off teamlines should be given rather they usually stipulate a deadline for them to be given.

Teamsheets are usually the first thing I ask for when meeting and greeting on arrival, this way any issues can be sorted out and if they aren't ready the clubs tend to speed up in getting them ready. I don't think I've had a game where there hasn't been at least one issue with one of the clubs teamsheets such as missing numbers etc.

I've also never had a league or cup which stated how long before kick off teamlines should be given rather they usually stipulate a deadline for them to be given.
As you get to the higher levels this changes somewhat. At contrib, and presumably beyond there is a set time for team sheets to be exchanged which is 45 minutes before kick off.

Am I missing something with team sheets?

I get handed them, have a quick glance at them to check they are filled in, whether the team has subs etc. and then put them in my bag and forget about them until I (may) need them after the game. I don't copy names down into my book, I can't see why that helps?

Yesterday, gave 3 yellow cards, each time I took the players name & name number and wrote them down. At the end of the game, I checked the names I had written down were on the team sheet (they were), report on Whole Game, send in league report, job done.

I can see one argument may be that, whilst administering a YC, a player may give me his name as John Smith, and its not - if I've copied down the team sheet I can check, but I'm not going to get into a discussion with a player about his name. If I take the name at the booking as John Smith, then that's what I'll put on Whole Game/ league report. If the team don't have a John Smith, then that's the team's issue, not mine.

Happy to add the caveat, I operate at grass roots level, I appreciate things may change the higher you go.

Am I missing something with team sheets?

I get handed them, have a quick glance at them to check they are filled in, whether the team has subs etc. and then put them in my bag and forget about them until I (may) need them after the game. I don't copy names down into my book, I can't see why that helps?

Yesterday, gave 3 yellow cards, each time I took the players name & name number and wrote them down. At the end of the game, I checked the names I had written down were on the team sheet (they were), report on Whole Game, send in league report, job done.

I can see one argument may be that, whilst administering a YC, a player may give me his name as John Smith, and its not - if I've copied down the team sheet I can check, but I'm not going to get into a discussion with a player about his name. If I take the name at the booking as John Smith, then that's what I'll put on Whole Game/ league report. If the team don't have a John Smith, then that's the team's issue, not mine.

Happy to add the caveat, I operate at grass roots level, I appreciate things may change the higher you go.
The idea is that instead of having to write "John Smith, FT, 64'" in the middle of the pitch, you just find John Smith on your list and write "FT, 64'" next to it. Obviously that's not a huge advantage in John's case, but when names can be longer, double-barrelled or just plain difficult to spell, having them already written down give you the option of speeding up the card-issuing process without doing the thing observers hate - writing down the shirt number, flashing the card and then cross-referencing the names after the match.

We all know that issuing a card can be a good opportunity to slow the match down - and that's still an option with this sytem. But if a player has attempted to "take a yellow" in order to slow down and disrupt the rhythym of opponents who are pushing for a late goal, being able to issue the card quickly helps you avoid becoming part of the problem.

Back