A&H

Team In All Black

From a slightly different perspective... a team I used to play for bought a red / black striped kit online, with black shorts and socks. When it arrived, the back of the shirts was completely black (except for the white numbers). The back of the shirts were not shown in any of the online photos.

We were immediately pulled up by the league for this (I guess quite rightly), but it could have been an expensive error by buying a new kit that we were not allowed to use. We did manage to reach a compromise with our league of wearing the shirts with white shorts and white socks....

The Referee Store
I had a game where the opposition had travelled 35 miles for the fixture, and turned up in the same colours as the home team as they had either not read the handbook or email properly from the home team. The home team refused to change as they had a spare kit.and refused to lend it to the opposition which was well within their rights to do. Compromise was for me to wear a training top that was purple and the away team to play in their training tops which were red and black. Reported it to the league, the away team got a hefty fine and I am pretty sure they learnt their lesson and game was played. common sense prevails.

Now this was a division 1 game. would I do the same for a premier game, I don't know as I just want to referee football and see the game played too many times as a player and a previous development officer within sport trying to promote sport I have come across common sense being completely ignored to follow laws(for me sometimes petty discrepancies such as sock tape below step 6/7, all it does is get players backs up and they think your an arse before you get onto the pitch) Report it and let Leagues and FA deal with it and let common sense prevail and get a game of football on. (My opinion probably one my RDO or Assessors would share)

for me it is a hell no ... I do not wear a bib. Full Stop.

options:

1. change kit
2. turn tops inside out (some tops of the white lining)
3. we play the game as it is, nobody bibs up and im not at fault for any 'confusion'
4. I take my fee and the games abandoned

Man, there are some times I like the fact that we (here in Canada) are not required to wear only black tops.

At the low youth levels, the clubs are responsible for their referees and those refs are told to only bother buying black to start, and the clubs are smart enough to not have black or deep navy shirts. Once you hit competitive levels, then it's open season on colours and referees are required to have at least a black and a yellow.

Not necessarily, because if I wear a bib to get the game played and then report it, if the league and the FA do their jobs correctly there will be no "last week's ref" scenario because they will have to change their kit. If I wasn't going to report it I can see the problem i would be causing, however it is the league's/FA's fault anyway (as much as the club's) because they should be checking the kits before the season starts.
Quite correct @HullRef and this is exactly what competition organisers do.

Another quote from SCOR 2015-16
CLUB COLOURS. CLUB NAME

9. (A) Every Club must register the colour of its shirts and shorts with the Secretary by 1st August who shall decide as to their suitability.

The problem is that clubs aren't always truthful regarding the design or colour of their kits. It isn't the Leagu'e or FA's fault, it is the fault of the club. I recall a club who spent more than £1,000 on a kit only to be reported as it didn't match the colour they told the league they would be wearing. The kit was back with small yellow flashes. They were told not to wear it again and every time it was reported that they were wearing the kit, they were fined by the league.

Back