A&H

Team 4 weeks in a row

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
One of the leagues I regularly referee have been giving me a local team. I had them 3 weeks in a row, home and away.

They've been doing well in the league, but the last 3 weeks I have had them against 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the league and they lost them all. No major decisions to make on my end, games were all pretty decisive.

Their manager is "an ex referee" (absolute nightmare dealing with ex-referees, comes into my changing room at full time to tell me how I should have refereed and tells me a bunch of nonsense about mini decisions that went against his team). During the game today I heard him screaming at me to yellow someone over and over so when the ball went out of play I yellowed him. He denied saying it to me but he was saying it to his club assistant lino, and the crowd behind him started saying I had confused them for him, I am 99% sure I hadn't. So yellow stands.

As I walked away I just kept hearing the bench or the crowd saying "this guy f****** hates us, had it in for us for weeks".

Full time manager approaches me saying, "now you know you were wrong about that yellow, I assume you won't be putting it through". Told him I will be putting it through and we can talk about it in the changing room (then I snuck out of the venue before he arrived).

Well just got appointed the reverse fixture of todays game.

So do I email appointments officer saying I can't do them a 4th time for which will likely be a 4th loss and likely a 4th assassination of my club scores. Or do I just brave another game.

The Referee Store
I wouldn't worry too much about club marks, but equally, I don't think anybody should be refereeing the same team even 3 consecutive weeks, let alone 4. I'd send an email saying you're happy to do the game if required but that it's potentially not a great idea and that you would be open to swapping with another referee.

Think i'd be asking for a swap personally, refereeing is about enjoyment and it sounds like you're already a bit apprehensive about the game so the enjoyment is potentially going to be less.

You then have a team and manager who are going into a game with a concious bias ("you f-ing hate them") so it will probably take something very minimal for it to all kick off.

I think if the situation can be avoided, you're better off being call s*** by another team this week 🤪

Think i'd be asking for a swap personally, refereeing is about enjoyment and it sounds like you're already a bit apprehensive about the game so the enjoyment is potentially going to be less.

You then have a team and manager who are going into a game with a concious bias ("you f-ing hate them") so it will probably take something very minimal for it to all kick off.

I think if the situation can be avoided, you're better off being call s*** by another team this week 🤪
Hahaa, I miss them telling me I'm the worst ref they've had, so I can reply worst than last week's?

Doesn't work when you're the only ref

Just a quick one.

So the gaffer was verbal that he hadn't asked for a yellow card and it was the fans, and all his very vocal protest was aimed at his club lino not me.

Still a yellow, but to prevent him trying to get out on a technicality or him being bitter at me, can I log the yellow as:

SOW11 - Showing a lack of respect for the game

Just a quick one.

So the gaffer was verbal that he hadn't asked for a yellow card and it was the fans, and all his very vocal protest was aimed at his club lino not me.

Still a yellow, but to prevent him trying to get out on a technicality or him being bitter at me, can I log the yellow as:

I wouldn't worry about him getting out on a technicality. Unless he has evidence that he didn't do what you say he did, he won't get out, he's extremely unlikely to bother (and I don't even know if he can) appeal a caution, and if he says 'my protest was aimed at my club linesman, not the referee', he's already hung himself, because his club assistant is to be treated no different to any other official in this respect.

Just a quick one.

He may still be bitter at you, but he can't appeal a caution.

I logged the yellow as SOW11 and asked to be swapped off the reverse fixture.

Screw having to referee them through potentially another defeat. 4 out of 4, not ideal.

A different referee is what they need to remove that doubt in their head.

Back