A&H

Sunderland vs man utd

The Referee Store
I thought this was great from the AR - could easily have ignored it and carried on - especially as Mariner was just starting to go away from the scene ... he saw a foul - gave it - spot on :)

Ive been having great fun at work ripping into all of the united fans :)

Haven't seen the incident, was hoping to catch the highlights

Tricky one - put that challenge in the center circle and would it still be a DFK?

It was a stupid thing for Cleverley to do though lol.

I saw the AR flag for the foul, but I'm not sure who made the decision that it was a penalty. Shouldn;t be the AR because he is in completely the wrong place to judge in/out of area, and referee wouldn't have had a much better view of the line from where he was.

I don't think it was a penalty (I don't think it was a foul, not just inside/outside area). I didn't at the time (maybe a little biased for United), and definitely didn't after seeing a few slowed down replays. Marriner definitely didn't give it, he was moving away from play, and then the linesman flagged, and he walked back towards the area. I agree his AR wasn't in the correct position to give it.

As it was the AR that gave the foul, I'm trying to see it from his angle, and it would probably have looked a lot worse challenge from where he was.

Didn't see any 'signal' from him for penalty, I thought he was moving towards goal line with the offside line - we are instructed to flag the foul, hear the whistle, then sprint round the corner flag to get in position for the penalty kick. - but have no idea what was being said over the headsets. It seemed like Marriner paused a little before pointing to spot, so assume it was AR who gave the foul AND the spot kick.

Ho hum....will admit to being a lifelong red here, and am presently just 'resigned' to being a red lol.

At least Wellington Pheonix are starting to win a few this season.

He did put his flag across his chest after a few seconds of signalling for the foul. It probably did look worse from his angle, but I still think it wasn't a foul!

haven't seen the the foul yet but the penalty should certainly have been retaken for encroaching

more sloppy refereeing from the top

Back