A&H

Stuttering in penalty kick

WiisardNic

Has something changed in the guidelines/LOTG that I haven’t realised about stuttering in a penalty run up, or do I just have a lower threshold in my mind?

A&H International
Nothing wrong with that. The illegal feint is at the point of kicking the ball that must be penalised.

Caution. IFK.

Nothing wrong with that. The illegal feint is at the point of kicking the ball that must be penalised.

Caution. IFK.
Is that not in the run-up though?

I mean, either way.. I’m seeing it as an offence (looks like a complete stop to me).

This one was in a shootout, so that would be a forfeited kick?

It needs to be a stop at the point of kicking it. He stops in the run up, but the final step before kicking the ball is continuous.

"feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted); the referee cautions the kicker"

It needs to be a stop at the point of kicking it. He stops in the run up, but the final step before kicking the ball is continuous.

"feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted); the referee cautions the kicker"
It's interesting if you explain it that way (to me). The way I was taught/the directive in my association (or at least the way I inferred it, so could be a question for me for next season), is to apply that same theory to the run-up (you can slow your run, but you can't stop it).

I'm seeing that stop/start in the run up, before the final step, so makes sense to me why it's allowed, using the explanation you've given me.

There are a lot of myths out there around penalties. As far as I know, stuttering or even stopping in the middle of the run up has never been an offence in the laws of the game.

Good to know, thank you. Glad I haven't be in a position where I've handled things wrong then..
Might be worth something for me to bring up at refresher sessions at the start of next season, just to clarify the leagues directive, but also to get my ears checked by the sounds of it!

In the US, high school soccer has its own rules. Long before the feint at the ball was outlawed by IFAB, the HS rules mandated a continuous motion in the run up and kick.

That definition is relatively new, surely.

That definition is relatively new, surely.
Well, it depends what you mean by "relatively new." It dates to 2010, when it was brought in to stop the exponential growth of the "paradinha" penalty in South America. (The wording was in a slightly different order, with mention of feinting in the run up first, but otherwise was essentially the same).

Well, it depends what you mean by "relatively new." It dates to 2010, when it was brought in to stop the exponential growth of the "paradinha" penalty in South America. (The wording was in a slightly different order, with mention of feinting in the run up first, but otherwise was essentially the same).
I think the original definition was:
"Feinting in the run-up to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted, however, feinting to kick the ball once the player has completed his run-up is now considered an infringement of Law 14 and an act of unsporting behaviour for which the player must be cautioned.”

I'm not sure either definition really covers the Paradinha, where the taker stops without actually "feinting to kick the ball" (which to me implies a swing of the foot).

Last edited:
"Feinting in the run-up to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted, however, feinting to kick the ball once the player has completed his run-up is now considered an infringement of Law 14 and an act of unsporting behaviour for which the player must be cautioned.”

I'm not either definition really covers the Paradinha, where the taker stops without actually "feinting to kick the ball" (which to me implies a swing of the foot).

Would be correct in calling both of the examples in that link unlawful though, yeah?

I'm not either definition really covers the Paradinha, where the taker stops without actually "feinting to kick the ball" (which to me implies a swing of the foot).

The amendment was brought in specifically to prevent the paradinha penalty and it was announced as such at the time. IFAB members, after the meeting where the amendment was adopted, revealed how they had been shown videos of multiple paradinha penalties before approving the amendment.

Penalty-takers banned for feinting

As that article points out:

One IFAB member added that some of the dummies on the video had the room in fits of laughter.

You may think the wording does not cover the paradinha penalty but the IFAB certainly does (and I happen to agree with them).

Paradinha penalties came in a number of different varieties - some may not have involved an overt movement as if to kick the ball, but most did.

See the video below. All of those involve the player drawing the foot back as if to kick the ball and then either "stubbing" the foot into the ground or in one case feinting over the top of the ball. But they all involve a feint after completing the run up.

In any event, one of the definitions of a feint (according to dictionary.com) is, "a misleading action or appearance."

Stopping at the end of the run up for me, also meets that definition.

Last edited:
In the US, high school soccer has its own rules. Long before the feint at the ball was outlawed by IFAB, the HS rules mandated a continuous motion in the run up and kick.
They did, but then they altered that in 2017 in a way that for me makes the rule a bit self-contradictory. It says there can be no stopping but it allows for a "stutter step or a hesitation move" which surely is pretty much akin to stopping and then restarting the run up.

The full NFHS wording is as follows:

The player taking the penalty kick is permitted to use a stutter step or a hesitation move provided there is no stopping and there is continuous movement toward the ball.

I'd seen that Reteurs report: "when the player gets to the end of a run up, feints to kick completely over the ball" doesn't apply to all of those examples.

It still seems a bit grey area, as it implies that you can complete the run up but not feint to kick the ball, and that's OK.

I'd seen that Reteurs report: "when the player gets to the end of a run up, feints to kick completely over the ball" doesn't apply to all of those examples.

It still seems a bit grey area, as it implies that you can complete the run up but not feint to kick the ball, and that's OK.
This is one of the few laws that there hasn't been much dispute over. I dont see the grey area you mention. Yes if you complete the run up and not feint to kick the ball, it is ok. The key here is definition of the word 'feint'.

This is one of the few laws that there hasn't been much dispute over. I dont see the grey area you mention. Yes if you complete the run up and not feint to kick the ball, it is ok. The key here is definition of the word 'feint'.
I was thinking of this one of the 4 in the collection above. There's no feinting to kick the ball.

If I recall, the unfairness of it was that if the GK was fooled and then the kicker missed, the kicker had a good chance of a retake because the GK had moved off the line before the kick.

If excessive arm-waving and leg-wobbling by the GK is unsporting, how excessive does flamenco dancing in the run up have to be before that's judged unsporting? (But I'm certainly not looking to mess with something if there isn't any dispute over it... see West Ham v City thread!)

Back