A&H

Stuttered run up.

The Referee Store
Both pens absolutely fine in the laws. The stutter happens during the run up and not after it's completed

US high school rules require a continuous run up. (Hmm. I need to double check that one and make sure it’s still there, as I start doing HS games this month. US HS has its own rules, but has trended toward conforming mostly with the LOTG.)

US high school rules require a continuous run up. (Hmm. I need to double check that one and make sure it’s still there, as I start doing HS games this month. US HS has its own rules, but has trended toward conforming mostly with the LOTG.)

Yes it needs to be continuous motion forward with no stops. Stutter steps are allowed. I messed this up last season as I knew there was no caution for the illegal kick from the kicker but didn't remember the no stopping part.

Yes, but NFHS Rules are not nearly as prescriptive as they used to be.

They used to say simply:

Once the kicker starts his/her approach toward the ball, he/she may not interrupt his/her movement.
This was generally seen as outlawing any kind of hesitation or feinting of any sort.

However in 2017 that was changed with the following new wording and rationale.

The player taking the penalty kick is permitted to use a stutter step or a hesitation move provided there is no stopping and there is continuous movement toward the ball. Failure to kick the ball as specified shall be considered a violation by the attacking team and the appropriate penalties shall apply. Stutter-stepping is not an interruption in movement.

Rationale: This addition of these sentences clarifies that the stutter step is allowed.
So, as I read it for instance, the penalties shown above would probably still be OK under NFHS Rules.

Last edited:
Now I don’t have to look it up! Though where the line is between the stutter/hesitation And a complete stop seems pretty open to wide variations in interpretation such that as a coach I wouldn’t want my players doing it.

Nothing to see here. Perfectly ok

nothing to hear either though, either my ears are still filled with coal and shortbread from NY day or, there appears to be a lack of referee whistle pre both pks

Back