A&H

Strange Incident

AmitM

Level 6 Referee
In my game today, had a player ask me, as a joke, if he managed to catch the ball in-between his shirt and body without using his hands, would it be a foul.
I just laughed with him and walked away, and luckily he didn't try it in the game!, but what law would it actually be breaking?

The Referee Store
Nothing explicitly in law about this but I’d be tempted to caution for USB? Spirit of the game and all that…

Direct free kick:

• throws an object at the ball, an opponent or a match official, or makes
contact with the ball with a held object
Is this along the same lines as throwing your boot at the ball, a keeper throwing his glove, etc?

Direct free kick:

Thank you!! Would that be a caution as well? If yes then what for?

Don't think I'd caution for it tbh, but I was wrong up-thread so... y'know. :D

The question set the parameters.

Very unlikely but ball could get caught between shirt and body if someone was wearing an oversized shirt.

Direct free kick:

Held implies using hand. Can't use this law

In my game today, had a player ask me, as a joke, if he managed to catch the ball in-between his shirt and body without using his hands, would it be a foul.
I just laughed with him and walked away, and luckily he didn't try it in the game!, but what law would it actually be breaking?
If it happens accidentally, stop game and go drop ball. If he does it deliberately (I don't see how) first time stop game, drop ball only and warm him. Second time, caution for USB and IDFK. The laws can't cover everything and that's why USB is open ended.

Held implies using hand. Can't use this law

If it happens accidentally, stop game and go drop ball. If he does it deliberately (I don't see how) first time stop game, drop ball only and warm him. Second time, caution for USB and IDFK. The laws can't cover everything and that's why USB is open ended.
How in the world is a player going to do this deliberately without his hand on his shirt? Hand on his shirt means it‘s handling. (I’m not a 100% sure, but I think the old IFAB Q&A had this as a Q with the answer being handling.)

How in the world is a player going to do this deliberately without his hand on his shirt? Hand on his shirt means it‘s handling. (I’m not a 100% sure, but I think the old IFAB Q&A had this as a Q with the answer being handling.)
Removed as handling offence in 18/19 and listed in the part of law I quoted.

Back