A&H

Stepping back/taking a break from refereeing

Will_A

Level 4 Referee
Over the last 12 months I've found refereeing becoming more and more unenjoyable. I've had some struggles with mental health that have been exacerbated by ever declining participant behaviour.
It's now reached the stage where I've formally stepped away from refereeing step 5/6 football for the foreseeable future. I may potentially do some local stuff to see if that helps me regain the enjoyment.

Had anyone else made a similar decision in the past and how has it affected your status as a L4 with the FA? My RDO suggested emailing Peter Elsworth and requesting a 6 month break but one of the appointments officers at The FA asked me if he should just demote me now!

I may or may not return to refereeing in the future but I'd like to have a bit of a break to get my head straight and not necessarily have to go through another 5-4 promotion season!

The Referee Store
Over the last 12 months I've found refereeing becoming more and more unenjoyable. I've had some struggles with mental health that have been exacerbated by ever declining participant behaviour.
It's now reached the stage where I've formally stepped away from refereeing step 5/6 football for the foreseeable future. I may potentially do some local stuff to see if that helps me regain the enjoyment.

Had anyone else made a similar decision in the past and how has it affected your status as a L4 with the FA? My RDO suggested emailing Peter Elsworth and requesting a 6 month break but one of the appointments officers at The FA asked me if he should just demote me now!

I may or may not return to refereeing in the future but I'd like to have a bit of a break to get my head straight and not necessarily have to go through another 5-4 promotion season!
Absolutely no problem with you taking a break, whether it be for physical or mental issues.

I actually had nearly 4 years out with injury, and the FA kept my status.

Not sure who the person at the FA was, but that is terrible advice imo.

Take time out, rest up and get whatever/problems issues you have resolved.

For 99% of people, bar the higher echelons, refereeing is a hobby. Life is always more important than a hobby.

If it was me, I’d also be querying with Peter why someone has asked if they should demote you in such circumstances. That isn’t appreciated or acceptable.

I dropped back from 4 this year. Amongst other reasons I just couldn't be bothered anymore. Doing the odd local game bit otherwise not missing it at all.

Sabbatical granted from Peter Elsworth 🙌
I don't think behaviour has deteriorated that much. I think it's probably always been about the same. Possibly, there are more reports of vile behaviour towards referees now with increased severity, but that's offset by reduced prejudice in the game
The relevance being that it's likely that you've fallen out with the game, not because the game has changed, rather because you're head's not in the right place at the moment

I had a severe mental health issue about 17 years ago. Every personal experience of mental health stuff is individual to them, but I can say with certainty that taking a break from Refereeing is a 'no-brainer' if you're in the midst of a rough patch

On the contrary, the true reason I've gotten so addicted to Refereeing, is because it's taken me beyond remission. The personal development over the last 7 years and the ability to cope with ever increasing stressors, has been invaluable in terms of my overall well being. It's made me look at myself as someone who can cope and thrive in an environment in which most could not. But it's all about timing.... this is the right time for me.... and there may well be a right time for you.... but that time sounds like it's not right now

Last edited:
Back