A&H

Spurs 'Pool pens

Er... not put his arms up like a pugilist to block a goal-bound shot...?
Well, since he didn't do that (as the freeze-frame posted earlier shows) then I think you've just given a good argument as to why this was in all likelihood, a correct call by the referee in judging this not to be a deliberate handling offence.

The Referee Store
I'm fairly sure it's because that's what the Laws instruct referees to do.

Page 192, LotG 2016-17 (pdf version)
But that makes no sense. The laws don't instruct us to warn players who are about to commit a foul in open play, yet the consequences of that can be just as severe. Especially in conjunction with the increased focus in the PL on holding at corners, this seems like a weak get-out clause that has a side effect of making refereeing seem more inconsistent.

What if there's holding offense going on before the ball is kicked and it continues after, but the referee doesn't spot it until the ball's been kicked. That would presumably be a PK/YC? Are we really saying that the correct way in law to pick a punishment for the same offense is dependent on when the referee happens to look in that direction?

Of course, but that's not how player brains work - nothing aggravates them more than inconsistency and the majority of players you encounter on a Sunday morning will now believe that a yellow is mandatory for a PK at corners.

I've just been listening to a podcast discussing this and they make a very good point - the only reason the liverpool attacker wasn't being fouled after the ball was kicked is because he was already on the floor. Why do we referees do this at corners: try to stop play before it begins to warn players that they're about to foul? We don't do this elsewhere on the pitch?

Not strictly true, we get walls back 10 yards, even marking it our for the poor souls at the top level, we warn about encroachment at pens and should warn defenders standing too close at throw ins and corners.

But that makes no sense. The laws don't instruct us to warn players who are about to commit a foul in open play, yet the consequences of that can be just as severe.
Actually they do. They place added emphasis on the penalty area at corners and free kicks but the basic instruction is to intervene early in cases of holding in general.

Based on the minutes of IFAB meetings I have looked at, it seems that issuing a recommendation for referees to crack down on holding was first discussed in 2000 although the first actual evidence of it that I can find in the LotG was in 2002 when it was stated:

A common criticism of referees is their failure to correctly identify and punish the offence of holding an opponent. The failure to deal appropriately with shirt-pulling and arm-holding can result in confrontation situations developing and referees are instructed to make an early intervention and to deal firmly with the situation.
As you can see, the original idea was to intervene early in all cases of holding or shirt-pulling. The mention of the penalty area, corners and free kicks was added later, presumably because (as anyone who referees or even just watches football matches knows) that is where the most egregious examples occur.

I have noticed that there are many top-level referees (and even assistants) who warn players while play is ongoing. I distinctly remember one clip of Sian Massey as AR in a Premier League (or possibly Championship) game where she can be heard repeatedly warning players who are close to her position and challenging for the ball, to keep their hands down.

Back