A&H

So the lone player takes the kick off, but short then plays it again.

The Referee Store
Hi
With the lone kicker it is now a clearer double touch infringement. IDFK from where the second touch happened

It makes absolutely no difference whether the kick off taker is on his own, has a team mate nearby or even if all 11 players on his team were in close attendance, he cannot touch the ball a second time before another player has done so. The law change regarding direction of travel of the ball has no bearing whatsoever in this case.

Did a game yesterday, whilst chatting to the CAR at half time he asked if kick offs now had to go backwards as that is all he has seen this summer.

I had a manager ask me if the kick-off was allowed to just be kicked directly forward into an opponents corner. Such a strange question I really struggled to get my head round it - of course the eventual answer was "Yes, but you've always been able to do that and no one ever did, so why would you want to?"

Bonus points to the first referee to give a IDFK for a second touch after the player plays it a second time after it rebounds from goal post or bar (at either end)....

Back