A&H

Sin Bin Cards....

Mustang23

Level 7 Referee
Hi, just wondering if there is anyone has found any difficulty with confusion of showing a yellow card when issuing a sin bin offence? with it not being understood by players or spectators.

could you use a blue card for signaling Sin Bin?

The Referee Store
It's important that you don't just start using a blue card - the laws are very specific that the signal for a sin bin is "yellow & point", so anything else can lead to the caution not correctly counting towards season totals, which would come back to bite you if your CFA found out.

As for confusion, yes, I absolutely agree! I don't know why another card colour or signal wasn't chosen - blue card would make perfect sense, or if you didn't want to make refs carry another card, I know some rugby authorities use a "10 fingers then point" signal for a 10-minute sin bin, so that could have easily been adopted. Similarly, I've complained before how not showing a red card for a second sin-bin offence is also needlessly confusing. Sin bins and how they interact with non-SB cautions is always going to be confusing, but I don't think IFAB have chosen particularly good options in a lot of cases.

Any players getting confused by it are the ones who haven’t bothered to learn the laws. It’s been in play for 2/3 seasons so they really should be able to follow it by now

Any players getting confused by it are the ones who haven’t bothered to learn the laws. It’s been in play for 2/3 seasons so they really should be able to follow it by now
This will be its 4th season in proper play in the UK (not including trial seasons) but I know many people will still get confused by it. In 2 years of playing football under the system, plus 4 years of watching football, I have never seen another referee use a yellow card to indicate a sin bin. When I utilise it I have received questions as to why I’ve also shown a yellow. Luckily never had to show two yellows to the same player or I think coaches heads would explode!

Players and coaches don’t learn the laws we know that. The vast majority of refs probably don’t show yellow cards whilst doing a sin bin. People on this forum, who I imagine stick to the laws to the letter, are a relative rarity at grassroots.

This will be its 4th season in proper play in the UK (not including trial seasons) but I know many people will still get confused by it. In 2 years of playing football under the system, plus 4 years of watching football, I have never seen another referee use a yellow card to indicate a sin bin. When I utilise it I have received questions as to why I’ve also shown a yellow. Luckily never had to show two yellows to the same player or I think coaches heads would explode!

Players and coaches don’t learn the laws we know that. The vast majority of refs probably don’t show yellow cards whilst doing a sin bin. People on this forum, who I imagine stick to the laws to the letter, are a relative rarity at grassroots.
They are a rare at grassroots - and some live in la la land where everybody knows the LOTG - coaches, players, spectators and there is no place for Law 18 - no wonder so many young referees leave the game - they are taught to rigidly apply with little elbow room for common sense - and the only argument that the rigid ref has - “you make it harder for the next ref” - well no, not really, if we are ALL taught to view the game through the spirit of the law (which is often quoted) then my view is the game would be enhanced … think rigid rules and VAR!

And that there would be the issue. Despite the fact the referees showing the yellow to indicate the sin bin may be in the minority, they would be the ones who are correctly applying it

Even the ones who are having their first season 🤔
Yes, because this system is adopted across grassroots from a young age so the likelihood of there being 22 people out there in one game who don’t know what a sin bin is are slim. In my experience if one player is confused about about a sin bin, a team mate will shout it at them and the confusion is over, and the manager will be complaining to them on the sideline about it

I do however agree there should be a different colour card for them for the people on the peripherals who can’t hear what’s going on

And that there would be the issue. Despite the fact the referees showing the yellow to indicate the sin bin may be in the minority, they would be the ones who are correctly applying it
I completely agree, I’m just saying that the lack of application from referees is as much at fault as lack of player knowledge.

I would also point out the number of sin bins I’ve seen is incredibly low, despite the fact the number of sin bin able offences is higher than that would suggest

Not really happened in a game I was AR early season on where the team had come down from step above which don’t use them so weren't 100% on the rule.

That is true (in England). I observed a Level 4 this season who had just come down from Level 3 and had to adjust their handling of dissent issues. . . . ended with 3 Sin Bins😕 in the game.
Easier for me when I pick up a step 5/6 game or county cup as I have used them before. But also not shy to give a dissent caution at step 3 and 4 ;) just follow same process less 10 min sit down .

That is true (in England). I observed a Level 4 this season who had just come down from Level 3 and had to adjust their handling of dissent issues. . . . ended with 3 Sin Bins😕 in the game.
The suggestion being that normally they would have had 3 dissent cautions and that would have been perfectly acceptable for them? Sin Bins aren't supposed to affect our tolerance for dissent, just what happens when it does occur.

I still regularly get asked "Is that a yellow card or a sin bin?" or "Why did you show the yellow card when it's a sin bin?".. or even "Do I have to go off for the 10 mins?" :wall:

The suggestion being that normally they would have had 3 dissent cautions and that would have been perfectly acceptable for them? Sin Bins aren't supposed to affect our tolerance for dissent, just what happens when it does occur.
Yes, three cautions for dissent would have been appropriate.

Hi, just wondering if there is anyone has found any difficulty with confusion of showing a yellow card when issuing a sin bin offence? with it not being understood by players or spectators.

could you use a blue card for signaling Sin Bin?
Perhaps a short pirouette by the ref on pointed toes whilst holding the yellow up would make the difference

I have re-read my post and your reply again, Graeme, and should explain "had to adjust . . ." in my post.
Because the referee had not used Sin Bins previously, before the game he very sensibly asked his AR's how most referees in the league in question handle them, e. g. is the senior AR involved in any way, who monitors the 10 minutes and the return, etc.
As I wrote in my first reply to your post, all 3 would have been cautions in matches with no Sin Bins.

Yeah, I was a little confused but that does make sense. It just seems like 3 dissent cautions OR 3 sin bins would be unusual either way, which is why I read that as the referee adjusting his tolerance to result in more sin bins for some reason. But if it was just a fractious game that generated 3 dissent cautions regardless, this all makes sense.

Back