A&H

Signalling for a Penalty

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Might be a dumb question, but as an AR how do you officially signal for a penalty?

I can't see anything in the LOTG showing me an official signal, however I've heard that a flag across the chest is the way it's normally done.

Had a couple of lines, where it's not come up as an issue, however sooner or later it will I'm sure and I feel like I'm missing something.

The Referee Store
Yep - flag as it is an attacking free kick, then put the flag across your chest, hold it until the ref has seen it and pointed to the spot, and then drop it.

The referee should instruct you as to what he wants you to do in his prematch chat. If not ask.

Some like the flag across the nipples, some have asked for the flag straight up and then come across to discuss what you has seen, another wanted me to discreetly run to the corner flag. I guess all refs have their own preference.

We are told that it's a flag as for FK, when ref whistles, quick sprint around the corner flag into position for the penalty.

Flag across chest is too similar to the 'Ref, can I have a word?' signal, which would work anyway, as he comes over to talk to you ......

We are told that it's a flag as for FK, when ref whistles, quick sprint around the corner flag into position for the penalty.

Flag across chest is too similar to the 'Ref, can I have a word?' signal, which would work anyway, as he comes over to talk to you ......
The want a word signal in England is usually a beckoning hand signal. I don't think anywhere else uses the flag across the chest for a penalty which is used in the British Isles.

In the US, one signals the foul, then stands at attention with the flag held horizontally at the waist (this indicates the location of the foul). When the Referee points to the spot, one marches to the corner and in to the penalty area.

"I want a word" is shown by holding the flag vertically at the waist.

Back