A&H

Should I have done something? (Edited title)

Ryan

THE REF
Level 7 Referee
my match on Sunday there was a corner and a manger come running up the touchline and shouted ref, so i looked at him and he said "can you watch number 5 for me" pointing to a opponent as number 5 and having a push about with one of his team, i just ignored him, but shout i of had a word with him saying i am the ref he isn't or something?

The Referee Store
Personally, just give a big shout "Okay lads, watch the arms!". Just be careful that he doesn't keep telling you how to ref, if it's only once, and you've listened to him, I'm sure it would to help.

If he does keep asking / telling you how to ref, either have a quiet word with him, or give a loud but polite request for him to stop.

I try and switch off from whatever the sidelines say, certainly don't directly acknowledge him. Keep your attention on what's going on in the box and if YOU see anything going on act on it. If he knocks your concentration off and your only focusing on the number 5 and his tussle, you could miss something happen elsewhere sojust referee how you see fit. IMO :)

Like someone said earlier, you can try and switch off to these kind of things, or acknowledge it, depends on the temperature of the game.

However, if he has deliberately ran a fair distance and very loudly shouted this at you, then I would be tempted to go over for a chat:
1. Get back to your technical area.
2. I appreciate your input, but I am the match referee, I make the decisions, if you want a chat, then by all means we will have one, but running up the touchline shouting will not get you anywhere.

(Dan: Any spelling mistakes are due to being Welsh :p)

Back