A&H

Shot myself in the foot

Can't draw a flow chart on here, so I'll try to verbalise it ...

Did defender intentionally play ball to keeper. If YES then carry on below, if NO then walk right away and leave them to it (even if the ball accidentally ends up at the keeper).

If above was YES, does keeper handle the ball? If NO then nothing to see here, if YES then it is an indirect free kick.

Honestly, some of the posts on here make it sound like rocket science, it isn't. Refereeing is complicated enough, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

The Referee Store
Thanks, I had the same initial intention before it went awry!
My point is that 'deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate' is sufficiently nuanced that it may be as properly applied to penalise a result (that it ended up being handled after a team-mate's deliberate kick) as to infer strategy (this is meant for the keeper and nobody else). I claim that this thought process would eliminate a lot of internal wrangling and would bring swift resolution to such situations as the OP experienced.
Goalkeepers do not pick up a ball by accident, but as discussed before, most misapprehensions can be warded off with good communication.
Also, goalkeepers should understand the laws concerning them from a very early stage of development, and if I can see a kick is deliberate, I presume very strongly that the goalkeeper can too.

Back