A&H

Sending off situations: How common are they?

Had 10x sendings off and 2 managers off this season. 44 games.

It comes in waves I find!!

Had more sin bins then ever this season though! Found dissent and OFFINABUS has increased quite a lot this season.

The Referee Store
Yeah, agree they come in runs - 2 of my 3 this season came in consecutive middles, and they were also proceeded by and sandwiched two lines where I also witnessed reds. But outside of that block, ~15 games and only one red.

I have done 72 middles this year. 10 red cards. A mix of second yellows and straight reds.
I had 3 straight reds in one game (a school game, year 10’s!!!!) and then a straight red in a mens game 4 days later! And then once since then.

Been refereeing since October last year (officially, did two or three years as coach/parent volunteer at U11s down) and probably done about 30 games, from U11 to U15s., all bar two at U12 and below. Not issued any cards at all yet though undoubtedly could and probably should have done on occasions. Been lucky to have no DOGSOs, VCs, SFPs or OFFINABUS but a few times when dissent could have been a yellow but the coach manage the situation by subbing off (which I encourage). Also lucky that the two U15s I've had were all impeccably behaved from the coach down.

Got a game coming up this weekend that I know will be different - and it's only U12s!!!

Hey mate, I referee in Queensland too. I gave out 8 red cards last season - 2 x DOGSO, 2 x OFFINABUS and 4 x second Yellow. The thing I find most helpful is to take your time. Sometimes it’s clearly red but even then I like to take a moment, check the considerations, confirm my thought process and then issue the card. If I am in doubt the red doesn’t come out. I have to be certain because the implications are significant for the player and the team involved. That being said it is important not to shy away from the decision or be scared to ruin someone’s game. Once I have made up my mind I am going through with the decision being confident and selling it as best I can. The first one is hard but once you get a few under your belt it’s much easier. Just work all your cards as needed and remember to apply that stepped approach.

27 games
5 reds
One to a coach for swaring at me in a under 13s game
One for a headbutt
One for dogso
2 for 2 yellows

Back