A&H

Safeguarding U18 ARs at grassroots

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
In one of my September fixtures I have two U18 ARs and I’m fairly sure we have a single small changing room.

I know rules say I cannot change in the room with them so I’ll come basically changed but I also think I’m not allowed alone in that changing room with them.

What’s the best option here? Have the door open? Offer one of their parents to come and be present?

Will be there for 90 mins before the game so standing around isn’t a great option for either them or me

The Referee Store
In one of my September fixtures I have two U18 ARs and I’m fairly sure we have a single small changing room.

I know rules say I cannot change in the room with them so I’ll come basically changed but I also think I’m not allowed alone in that changing room with them.

What’s the best option here? Have the door open? Offer one of their parents to come and be present?

Will be there for 90 mins before the game so standing around isn’t a great option for either them or me
fa-match-officials-changing-room-procedures.pdf is hopefully useful.

Make sure both clubs are aware that they are under 18.
It is best practise not be on your own privately with them. Having a parent around is great but if not the club need to provide someone to watch over them when you aren't e.g. changing/showering. Best to let them know in advance.
I'd be thinking if 90 minutes is appropriate. I'd say 60 minutes ought to be sufficient. Especially if you don't need to change. That gives 10-15 mins for niceties (chat + brew), 15 mins for them to change, 5-10 mins pre match instructions outside, 15-20 mins warm up and then pretty much at kick off.

fa-match-officials-changing-room-procedures.pdf is hopefully useful.
I’ve just read through that.
I don’t think I’ve ever stepped out the changing room. But to be honest, most of the officials I work with just change shirts over or that sort of thing.

I think I ought to start telling the officials I shouldn’t be changing with them!

Back