A&H

Junior/Youth Safeguarding report

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Am I being OTT?

I’ve reported this to county safeguarding team but I’m unsure if I’m being over zealous as a newly trained ref.

Through an U16 girls game the away manager was shouting a lot of instruction to his players and often, in my opinion, strayed into criticism with comment like “what are you doing” “think about it for god sake” etc.

Then after he subs off a player who had made an error I see him (I’m the other side of the pitch for a throw in) pointing a finger in her face and clearly shouting or speaking sternly whilst doing so. She sat on the sideline looking very distraught for the rest of the game.

Later I hear another away player say “I hope you’re ready to be shouted at” as the game came to a close (5-2 loss). I didn’t hear this shouting but the combination of the three things made me concerned.

Was I being overly cautious?

The Referee Store
Am I being OTT?

I’ve reported this to county safeguarding team but I’m unsure if I’m being over zealous as a newly trained ref.

Through an U16 girls game the away manager was shouting a lot of instruction to his players and often, in my opinion, strayed into criticism with comment like “what are you doing” “think about it for god sake” etc.

Then after he subs off a player who had made an error I see him (I’m the other side of the pitch for a throw in) pointing a finger in her face and clearly shouting or speaking sternly whilst doing so. She sat on the sideline looking very distraught for the rest of the game.

Later I hear another away player say “I hope you’re ready to be shouted at” as the game came to a close (5-2 loss). I didn’t hear this shouting but the combination of the three things made me concerned.

I am an Assistant Head at a secondary school and I would never discourage anyone from reporting something they are concerned about.. if I do nothing with it .. so be it, but at least you have done your bit. Sounds like you were spot on.

I have reported similar behaviour in the past - a coach clearly getting way over the top angry with a youth player (I was a there as a parent, not a ref.) Turns out it was the coach's son he was yelling at. I bet their household is a fun joint.

Am I being OTT?

100% the right thing to do, well done for be so observant and then taking time to report.

Back